• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lollipop 5.1 pre-rooted update

Yes u did...u stated quite clearly..factory data reset and format sd card..I'm looking at it now..and u even told someone else to do it on the thread...why would I have done it if u didn't say it...I'm talking about the ROOTED lollipop update this thread started from...I hope ur confused which file I speak of...cuz ur instructions at the start of this thread clearly state to factory reset and format...I'm just saying..now I'm confused

Upvote 0
Hi all, Here is a TWRP-flashable version of the 5.1 Lollipop update that is also pre-rooted. If you want to upgrade to Lollipop without losing root this is what you need. If you already installed the official lollipop update then you won't be able to flash this and you will have to wait for a new root method.

You need to have TWRP installed in order to flash this ROM. It can't be installed with the stock recovery. If you are still on KitKat and have not rooted yet, you can find a guide on how to root and install twrp recovery by clicking the link below.
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7037139

-Instructions-
Place ROM zip on SD card
Reboot to TWRP recovery
Make a nandroid backup
Factory reset and format system
Flash ROM zip
Reboot system and enjoy

-Download-
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347834555

If I have helped you please hit the like button.
Yes u did...u stated quite clearly..factory data reset and format sd card..I'm looking at it now..and u even told someone else to do it on the thread...why would I have done it if u didn't say it...I'm talking about the ROOTED lollipop update this thread started from...I hope ur confused which file I speak of...cuz ur instructions at the start of this thread clearly state to factory reset and format...I'm just saying..now I'm confused
You need to read the op again and pay more attention. I say to factory reset and format SYSTEM. The only time I mention the SD card is when I say to put the ROM on your SD card. Also I NEVER told anyone on this thread to format their internal storage or SD card. I double checked all my posts on this thread to be sure. If you READ & FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS it will work.

Upvote 0
You need to read the op again and pay more attention. I say to factory reset and format SYSTEM. The only time I mention the SD card is when I say to put the ROM on your SD card. Also I NEVER told anyone on this thread to format their internal storage or SD card. I double checked all my posts on this thread to be sure. If you READ & FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS it will work.
My apologies masterchief...ur correct...u did indeed say format system...how would I go about doing that tho

Upvote 0
My apologies masterchief...ur correct...u did indeed say format system...how would I go about doing that tho
?.. It's in recovery bro... Or just Google it seems like you need to read and understand what your doing first or you will brick your phone this is a help thread but not a spoon feed thread. Read,research watch you tube videos Google, that's how I learned and I'm no better than you just trying to help you before someone try to blast you for asking question after question..

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
When you reboot to twrp, select "wipe" then swipe to factory reset. After that you need to select "wipe" then "advanced wipe" and check the box next to system and swipe again. Then you are ready to install the ROM.

Upvote 0
Hi...I recently acquired a phone with this ROM already installed... And just wanted to verify if I do a reset that it will retain root. Thanks much for your efforts on this Lollipop root and assistance.
Yes you will retain root. Just don't under any circumstances do a factory reset from the settings app. You need to boot into recovery manually and do a factory reset from there.

Reactions: TVCCS
Upvote 0
Yes you will retain root. Just don't under any circumstances do a factory reset from the settings app. You need to boot into recovery manually and do a factory reset from there.

Thank you for that clarification. Again, my thanks for posting this root solution for 5.1, and hopefully someone will come up with root soon for the factory update as well.

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
So far running great haven't tried xposed yet because most of the reasons why I used it were to get lollipop features. Don't like how mipop is gone and the nav bar is pretty large plus no immersive mode is a little odd. Like how its not resource hungry like 4.4.4 was though. Will keep updated thanks for the prerooted zip masterchief
Stony442,using exposed with this phone is pain in the... I tried and because there is issue with mounting it doesn't work. I tried and each time phone freezes at grand x max plus bootanimation after reboot.

Upvote 0
The Z987 I got was from Cricket and was supposed to have KitKat. Instead it has 5.1. I am seeking root probably more to remove bloatware or at least put it on SD card and have control over permissions than anything else. Please let us know when stock(?) 5.1 becomes rootable, and as usual many thanks for all your patience and especially hard work.

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert on root methods and unfortunately I don't pay much attention to what goes on with the z987 since I don't have one. I just did this so people who have phones on KitKat can have a way to update without losing root. I pretty much just changed the updater script for the ROM and added SuperSU to the zip. I'll let you know if I hear anything but I'll probably be the last person to hear about it.

Upvote 0
Had this pop up on my zte grand x max + this morning. Is it the marshmallow update?? Anyway we can get another pre-rooted flashable rom Mastercheif87?

Attachments

• 13383369_1106572879402399_685314547_o.jpg
    13383369_1106572879402399_685314547_o.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 13383912_1106572909402396_1608276315_o.jpg
    13383912_1106572909402396_1608276315_o.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 13396781_1106572892735731_1516743676_o.jpg
    13396781_1106572892735731_1516743676_o.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 80
  • 13410538_1106572869402400_328887934_o.jpg
    13410538_1106572869402400_328887934_o.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Masterchief,cricket currently has a firmware update to install. Do you kno if this will efect status of root. Im using your method.

If your phone is already rooted I recommend that you don't just install it. Use a root file explorer and look in /cache. If you can, grab the update.zip file and upload it to google drive and send me a link. I'll see if there is anything I can do with it.

Reactions: ultraprimeomega
Upvote 0
If your phone is already rooted I recommend that you don't just install it. Use a root file explorer and look in /cache. If you can, grab the update.zip file and upload it to google drive and send me a link. I'll see if there is anything I can do with it.

What file am i looking for. Only one i see is last log?

Upvote 0

found the server address, for latest update, seems that the downloader saves it as "dlpkgfile" and also deletes update.zip once used but im guessing this file just gets renamed.

server file, just extract and theres the files that look like update.zip but just my guess.
https://dl1.ztems.com/zxmdmp/downlo...kages/US/ZTE/Z987/79568/P862A22_B12_to_B15.up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones