• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop aftermath

So, since I've downloaded the lollipop ota update about 10 days ago, my N5 has started acting a little wonky to say the least. Here are the problems I've been having, the first two are resolved, the others I need your help with:

1. Battery drain

Since the ota update, my N5 could barely get an hour and a half of screen on time (well youtube time, since that's the app I use the most). I remember it getting 3-4 hours easily before.

This was resolved by disabling that fit app, which got me back up to maybe 3, 3.5 hours of youtube per charge, a bit worse, but certainly bearable.

A lot of people have been reporting battery life gains, but it seems I'm not one of them. (I'm also using it, as always, with battery conservation in mind: we're talking 1/6 brightnes, location, nfc, bluetooth turned off, the only thing I use regularly is wi-fi).

2. Wi-fi connectivity issues

This sort of resolved itself, I guess. I've been having the 'network saved but won't connect' issue, which I've seen has been pretty common with this update.

But I've also had this problem where if i'm not on full bars, the wi-fi just flat out wouldn't work. Stepping out of my living room, effectively reducing the signal to 3/4 strength just killed it instantly, I'd get the buffering thing on youtube and it wouldn't resume playing until it got back to 4 bars, which was really weird, but again, it sort of resolved itself about a week ago, and I havent seen these problems since.

3. Massive ram usage

So, before, I would get maybe around 600-700 mb of ram used in total when I'm idle, no matter what. Now it's regularly at 1.2 gb just for the system.
q3v5jHL

When I restart it, I do get normal ram usage, but after some time it just skyrockets, and it didn't do that before. I mean, I guess restarting works, but still, it's far from an ideal and practical solution.

Lollipop is supposed to be snappy and efficient, so what the hell is this? Which brings me to:

4. Performance issues

I suspect this could be tied in to problem number 3.
I've been seeing moments of choppiness, random hangs...4.4 was buttery, but this isn't, at least for me.

Apps and games seem mostly unaffected (haven't played many though, so I'm not totally sure), but the most noticeable hangs happen:

1) While scrolling through the app drawer. (sometimes)

2) After I've been using an app (mostly see this with chrome) for some time, pressing the home button causes 1-2 seconds of being on my home screen with nothing but the app drawer button, with other icons popping in gradually afterwards. (always)

3) App drawer taking 1-2 seconds to appear. (sometimes)

5. Camera

I just noticed this 5 minutes ago when i tried to upload my ram usage image. I clicked camera by accident in the 'select source file' dialog box, and it gave me an error that said "can't connect to camera". Tried starting the camera app on it's own, still doesn't work.

So guys, any fixes, suggestions, ideas? I'd really appreciate some feedback.
I mean, I guess I could roll back to 4.4, but I like lollipop and I wanna make it work properly. Also, a factory reset before applying the update could fix some of these issues, but I have a lot of files and apps that I need, and it's just too much of a hassle for sometnihg that 'might' work (that's why I waited for the ota in the first place and didn't just flash it, I wanted to keep my files and apps).

Also, how's lollipop working for you? Hopefully better than it is for me. :)

P.S. Chrome chrashed like an absolute bitch while I was writing this :D
And also, this happened, cool widget bro! What even...
B078pjz

Sorry to hear you are having issues with Lollipop, I was having the exact issues you describe however not on my N5 but my N7. Only issues with the N5 was that my total storage only showed 12,55GB (32GB N5). I backed up both units, factory reset both and all issues have gone away. Both my N7 & N5 are buttery smooth, very quick with no lag at all, performing like a dream. I truly think a factory reset would solve all your issues.

Good Luck!!

Upvote 0
3: Android, technically speaking, operates better when its RAM is full. This means that it has a cache of recent apps ready to reload more quickly when you want to open them. There is no idle state, especially in 5.0, which will go ahead and preload your often used apps even after a restart. You have more than enough RAM in your phone, so don't worry about it. (RAM usage has 0 effect on battery life)

5: Android is having weird camera access issues under 5.0 right now. A restart will get things working okay. I haven't seen yet where people know exactly what is going on, but so far it seems different then the mm-qcamera-daemon bug that was squashed back on 4.4.4

Upvote 0
3: Android, technically speaking, operates better when its RAM is full. This means that it has a cache of recent apps ready to reload more quickly when you want to open them. There is no idle state, especially in 5.0, which will go ahead and preload your often used apps even after a restart. You have more than enough RAM in your phone, so don't worry about it. (RAM usage has 0 effect on battery life)

5: Android is having weird camera access issues under 5.0 right now. A restart will get things working okay. I haven't seen yet where people know exactly what is going on, but so far it seems different then the mm-qcamera-daemon bug that was squashed back on 4.4.4

Huh, never thought of it that way...after seeing my ram usage double, I was so quick to blame it for the bad performance I've been having.
I never stopped to think that it might be an ART vs Dalvik thing, seeing as they handle apps differently. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

The camera is still acting up though, even after a restart, but it seems from your post that it's a widespread problem so i guess it'll get patched soon enough...

Also, thank you guys for sharing your experiences and suggestions, I just got done with the last of my exams, so I'm going to use the free time to back everything up and do a factory reset.
I'm now more confident that it will solve my problems seeing as it worked for Hunter5 in a similar situation.

I'll try and post results after I do it.

Upvote 0
Huh, never thought of it that way...after seeing my ram usage double, I was so quick to blame it for the bad performance I've been having.
I never stopped to think that it might be an ART vs Dalvik thing, seeing as they handle apps differently. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

The camera is still acting up though, even after a restart, but it seems from your post that it's a widespread problem so i guess it'll get patched soon enough...

Also, thank you guys for sharing your experiences and suggestions, I just got done with the last of my exams, so I'm going to use the free time to back everything up and do a factory reset.
I'm now more confident that it will solve my problems seeing as it worked for Hunter5 in a similar situation.

I'll try and post results after I do it.
I have the same problems. Factory reset did not help. Hoping for a fix soon.

Upvote 0
I was a devote BLACKBERRY user, And I live in Ontrio the home of RIM. As everyone knows, RIM started having problems and then those problems started giving my BlackBerry Bold problems, I had to make a choice to either stay with Blackberry or jump ship. Since there were not a lot of new or ever more current Blackberry Apps coming out, I decided to change when my contract ended. My choice was iOS or Android. I think Apple is a great company, but I really wasn't enthralled by the idea of having to do things "APPLES WAY only, and my research told me tht Android is the wsay to go. I purchased the Nexus 5, and I was happy that it didn't come with a lot of preloaded app, and I downloaded some apps I thought might be useful to me ..and some I tried and kept and some I tried and uninstalled. Then as everyone knows Google decides that they are going to make a HUGE Announcement and released the Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus Player and announce the release of Lollipop 5.0. I was looking forward to the OTA download of Lollipop...and I downloaded it and everything seemed to be fine....then after a few days....some strange things started with my NEXUS 5. I have Apps that wont open, I have installed Apps that I have tried to uninstall and WON'T UNINSTALL, my Camera works when it feels like it, I have SMS messages that come numerous times, the color display is all F%^K-up (looks like a negative from a film camera. Volume is up and down without me touching anything, and other issues. I think that my NEXUS 5 is trying to tell me to GO BACK TO BLACKBERRY. LOOK AT THE BLACKBERRY PASSPORT. I don't think it can be ANY WORSE then LOLLIPOP 5.0, And I'm supporting a CANADIAN COMPANY!

Upvote 0
Hi there, and welcome to the forums! Habe you tried a factory reset and/or cache partition wipe yet?
Hi GuitarG20. I have not done anything yes, as I'm a compuer and hi-tech idiot. I know what a factory reset is, but I have no idea what a cache partition wipe is. So some how I would have to either have someone explain how to do the cache partition, or actually have someone do it for me. Also, if I'm dpoing a factory reset, shouldn't I do a backup of all my data and downloaded Apps? Which app do I use to do a back up and restore? Also....can someone tell me why there are so many useless apps? I can't believe that there are so many game type apps....THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THEN A WASTE OF OUR TIME. My Nexus 5 is not used for playing games, or other time wasting things. . However everytime you turn around there are tons more stupid apps, and since the app developers give the apps strange and wierd names, you read through all the stuff about an app, and then realize its not for you...and wasted more time. what did we do before cell phone asmartphones?? I could go on and on.....butI think get the idea of where I'm coming from.

Upvote 0
Hi GuitarG20. I have not done anything yes, as I'm a compuer and hi-tech idiot. I know what a factory reset is, but I have no idea what a cache partition wipe is. So some how I would have to either have someone explain how to do the cache partition, or actually have someone do it for me. Also, if I'm dpoing a factory reset, shouldn't I do a backup of all my data and downloaded Apps? Which app do I use to do a back up and restore? Also....can someone tell me why there are so many useless apps? I can't believe that there are so many game type apps....THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THEN A WASTE OF OUR TIME. My Nexus 5 is not used for playing games, or other time wasting things. . However everytime you turn around there are tons more stupid apps, and since the app developers give the apps strange and wierd names, you read through all the stuff about an app, and then realize its not for you...and wasted more time. what did we do before cell phone asmartphones?? I could go on and on.....butI think get the idea of where I'm coming from.

Upvote 0
One other thing....I have not rooted my Nexus 5. Because I have no idea what the real difference is between rooted and not rooted. In the REAL world. something that is rooted is living like a tree or plant or your teeth have roots. But when you take the roots out of the soil or earth or in the case of teeth your gums, they will all die. So I figured all the Nexus owners who are unrooted are going to have their smartphones die on them in the near future...but I guess those people have the smarts to do something to put new life into the unrooted items. I'm sure I'm not making any sense to all the computer and smartphone geeks out there...and I know that computer and hi tech have a whole vacabulary all of its own.....but for a lot of people it really is confusing.h Do you know if they have published the book SMARTPHONES FOR DUMMIES? When I was a kid we read about DICK TRACY having a walkie-talkie or similer in his watch or shoe....but quite honestly....I thought it would have happened before we put a man on the moon. Another thing....every year all the cell phone companies including Apple bring out new and better phones....I'm sure that Apple, Samsun, Nokia, HTC etc already know what phones they are going to be releasing over the next 3 or 4 years.....someone is going to make a fortune making a cellphone grave yard.....because I figure any cell phone that is over years old will not work with the newest technology.

Upvote 0
Being rooted gives a person superuser access which in turn can end up with a lot of people that aren't in the know deleting vital system files and messing up the phone (luckily it's VERY hard to totally kill a Nexus)

So in my humble opinion I'd avoid rooting anyway, if you were to ever consider it then I'd advise you spend a fair bit of time reading up on it beforehand (many people root root without knowing the full implications and end up totally stuck when something goes wrong)

On the otherhand rooting is great when you know what it is you want to do with the device.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
One other thing....I have not rooted my Nexus 5. Because I have no idea what the real difference is between rooted and not rooted.
In the Nexus 5 forums, there is a subforum for Rooting related issues. In there, look at the stickies at the top - specifically this one. It will help you understand the basic concepts. After that, if you have questions, ask away.

Upvote 0
My N5 now has all srewed up colors....pictures look like a negative and there are no clear bright colors...its a washed out look and I don't like it. When I reboot...the little colored dots are full colorm but then fades to washed out colors. Then once it loads whatever it is loading, my screen dims...and then opens the following apps: Chrome, Gmail, Outlook.com, Messenger, Drippler, Photos, Inbox, Yahoo Mail, Play Store, and Camera. Can someone give me some idea of what to do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones