• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lollipop and Qremote

bg4m3r

Android Expert
Nov 1, 2013
So I backed up the Qremote, Quickset, and Quickset SDK apks before switching to Lollipop (Candy ROM). I was able to install them, and made them system apps, but they crash when I try to open the remote. I didn't see any libraries associated with them, so what else could be missing to get them working?
I pulled them from the odexed ROM.

I know this isn't high priority for a lot of people, but I use the remote daily, so I would like to have it working.

It's more than likely due to the actual infrared device. LG uses a proprietary closed source driver for it, so you're not going to find support in any non stock roms. I'm not sure due to that fact that you would be able to get it to work with any non stock roms. Unless of course someone knew what they were doing and could sit down and write software to support it, but being that the original software is closed source I don't think they would have any where to start.

Upvote 0
I dont have any of the settings enabled in the kernel.. sorry

I could try to set them, not sure how it will work though

Code:
# Customize TV tuners
#
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SIMPLE=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA8290=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA827X=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18271=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA9887=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5761=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5767=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT20XX=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2060=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2063=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2266=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2131=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_QT1010=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC2028=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC5000=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC4000=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MXL5005S=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MXL5007T=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MC44S803=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MAX2165=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18218=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18212=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L2=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_CORE=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_MEMOPS=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_DMA_CONTIG=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_VMALLOC=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_DMA_SG=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_MSM_MEM=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_FIXED_MINOR_RANGES is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_IR_I2C=y
From stock defconfig

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it also has to do with missing lg strings in libmedia.so. Messing around and replacing libmedia.so with a stock one on cm11 made the app start, but i think i got a bad copy of the qremote apk to begin with. Replacing libmedia comes with the issue also of screwing up audio, so thats not a method we want to use.

If i get a chance soon ill see what strings its griping about when you install qremote on custom roms, and try to see if i cant figure out how to add it to a build.

Upvote 0
I dont have any of the settings enabled in the kernel.. sorry

I could try to set them, not sure how it will work though

Code:
# Customize TV tuners
#
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SIMPLE=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA8290=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA827X=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18271=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA9887=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5761=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5767=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT20XX=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2060=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2063=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2266=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2131=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_QT1010=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC2028=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC5000=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC4000=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MXL5005S=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MXL5007T=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MC44S803=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MAX2165=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18218=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18212=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L2=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_CORE=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_MEMOPS=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_DMA_CONTIG=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_VMALLOC=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_DMA_SG=y
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF2_MSM_MEM=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_FIXED_MINOR_RANGES is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_IR_I2C=y
From stock defconfig

Would setting them have any negative effects even if it doesn't work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It needs kernel support and every installation ZIP I've seen requires /dev/ttyS1 (or S0 can't remember..) chmodded to 666 using an init.d script. I haven't tried those ZIPs on the volt but that seems to be how it works on the G2. Also, you don't need any special things in libraries, it works on AOSP. You just need the G3 Lollipop version (there's a mod for AOSP on XDA.) of QuicksetSDK.apk and QRemote.apk. No other version will work and will crash as they don't support ART.

Mind you, this still needs kernel support for the infrared transmitter.

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0

Attachments

• 1427114282132.jpg
    1427114282132.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
Check your Settings -> About Phone -> SELinux Status, if it says anything other than Restrictive/Restricted, you should be fine I think. Try using the AOSP CM12 supporting QRemote and see if it works for you. Learning may or may not work, it works on my G2, but only on certain ROMs. On others it will sit there and be like "Oh.. Are you trying to teach me? Yeaaaaa, I can't see that for some reason."

Upvote 0
IR support is disabled in current kernels for cm12. I can enable it if you want, hopefully it doesnt bork next build
FYI IR Support with LG means it does the proper API calls to the hardware, It's different from the way Samsung and most other IR blasters work. So enabling it might not do squat, I think IR support is the last feature we should worry about. I'd rather have bugs ironed out first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones