• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop is the worst update EVER!

I agree. Lollipop is the worst. Most annoying bugs:
  1. Unable to prioritize connection frequency band (5.0GHz vs 2.4GHz).
  2. Multiple rings for E-mail/Text updates when phone is in sleep mode.
  3. Restart from shut down keeps telling me Android is "updating" when it's not.
  4. Have to hold start button down on restart, for long time before it starts.
Zalophus
HTC 0ne
ATT

Upvote 0
my things about lollipop:
1.the most customization stuff, the most ram and battery uses. the more crap it has, the slower it gets.
2.white ui. a rip to amoled users
3.not optimized yet.
just get back to kitkat or jelly bean. i love those

Not true at all. While it has lots of customization it is able to run on lower end devices due to its system architecture. It requires less power to run smoothly. It does require a bit more of storage because of art but lolipop substantially saves more battery and it's rather smooth. Incredibly so if you ask me.

Maybe the 5.0 version had some hiccups for some but get in mind that others didn't have any trouble at all. Actually some problems was solved after a factory reset and 5.1 even fixes other things. Just give it time to settle in and it'll be fully optimized and way superior to kitkat.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
my things about lollipop:

2.white ui. a rip to amoled users

Could be something that Samsung will have to sort out for their AMOLED devices. Rather than a problem with Lollipop itself. FWIW I quite like a light coloured UI overall, but then I'm not using an AMOLED phone. With Android of course the UI can be customized and skinned by the manufacturers.

Upvote 0
I agree. Lollipop is the worst. Most annoying bugs:
  1. Unable to prioritize connection frequency band (5.0GHz vs 2.4GHz).
  2. Multiple rings for E-mail/Text updates when phone is in sleep mode.
  3. Restart from shut down keeps telling me Android is "updating" when it's not.
  4. Have to hold start button down on restart, for long time before it starts.
Zalophus
HTC 0ne
ATT
I have a HTC One with 5.0.2, albeit custom, and don't have problems 2 or 3, haven't especially noticed 4 (but I rarely restart), while 1 has not been something I've every worried about.

Now I do not use the stock email or message apps, which is likely to account for the difference in 2 (I don't see any settings related to repeat notifications in the stock message app - I don't have the stock email app installed). 3 sounds like a glitch of some sort: have you tried a factory reset? Over The Air updates can leave some conflicts in place, so a backup, reset and restore after such an update can clear a lot of odd glitches or performance problems.

Upvote 0
To start, the phone overheats a lotafter using it for no longer than 5 minutes. If my phone is on silent, my alarm doesn't go off, unlike before, when I would put my phone on silent through the night, the alarm would still ring at the volume you set. Apps crash and the phone freezes. I had thought i had used too much space until I checked and realized i had 4 gigs of free space, so there should be no reason to run slower. Before this update, the phone ran smoothly and now it's extremely glitchy and tempermental it seems.
I believe the lag is do to a memory leak I'm not experiencing lag I'm running cm 5.1

Upvote 0
Main thing irking me with Lollipop on the Note 3 is that Xposed no longer works, nor anything that uses it. I had a great bunch of extensions that worked pretty well on it. Not least of which the ad-blocking for YouTube. I miss it already :(

The other thing, that's more a niggle, but one I kinda miss, was knowing how long the battery had lasted in a charge cycle. It's kind of hard to brag about the kind of battery life you are getting with an extended battery when the phone no longer shows how long it's been on where it is expected to be.

Upvote 0
FWIW ... how about a report from Tasker ... like ...

tla-Battery
A1: Say [ Text:Battery at %BATT % Engine:Voice:default Stream:3 Pitch:5 Speed:6 Respect Audio Focus:On Network:Off Continue Task Immediately:On ]
A2: Popup [ Title: Text:Battery • %BATT% Background Image: Layout Popup Timeout (Seconds):5 Show Over Keyguard:On ]

... Thom

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
According to the dev, there is an experimental update for Xposed Framework that works on Lollipop. But it has a known issue to boot-loop on Samsung ROMs.if u have back up should b fine I'm not on Samsung the beta closed dose work great for me I'm on an zte awe running 5.1.1:)

Sorry, my phone is far too vital to be having that happen.
if u have back up u shouldn't have much trouble I'm using xposed for 5.1 beta on an zte awe with no ishues:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I booted up Kies 3.0 last night and it notified me that Verizon's OC7 release is available if I wish to install it.

Now that is on the Kies list, and I still have NOT been presented with a Force Fed dose of it, maybe Verizon got the hint that their customers do not always like the newest food in the chain of events and are leaving us to upgrade by choice.

I truly hope that is the truth of the matter.

I have been experimenting of late and using WiFi a bit from time to time and that dreaded Upgrade message has not appeared. Maybe I can now relax and use the phone more normally and not be shutting the radios down so much.
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns Data ON
PureVPN when using a public WiFi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones