• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lollipop Nightmare!

Homer67

Jun 12, 2012
London
I upgraded my S5 to Lollipop and found that Essenet and a couple of less important apps stopped working. I then used a file server to reflash the Kitkat firmware onto my s5 which didn't work and the phone stopped working. Fortunately before this I had backed up my data using Kies.

Under my phone insurance I claimed for a new one and they sent one out and exchanged my faulty s5 I then restored my data and to my horror the new s5 began downloading the Lollipop update without any acceptance from me.

I have not installed the update and my new s5 is running Kitkat version 4.4.2

I now have a notification in the top bar telling me that a software update is ready and has been downloaded, when I look in notifications it says software update postponed.

When I switch the phone off and on again I get a 'install update' screen which I have been ignoring by pressing the 'back' key but the annoying notification is still there and I can't get rid if it.

I do not want to upgrade to Lollipop as Eseenet is my main reason for having a smart phone and my concern is that the phone is somehow going to install the downloaded update to Lollipop either automatically or by me accidentally pressing accept install.

Is there any way I can get rid of the downloaded update or the notification so the update just goes away and doesn't happen?

Failing that my only option would be to change my phone type so does anyone know if HTC phones use android Lollipop or if they are compatible with Eseenet?

I upgraded my S5 to Lollipop and found that Essenet and a couple of less important apps stopped working. I then used a file server to reflash the Kitkat firmware onto my s5 which didn't work and the phone stopped working. Fortunately before this I had backed up my data using Kies.

Under my phone insurance I claimed for a new one and they sent one out and exchanged my faulty s5 I then restored my data and to my horror the new s5 began downloading the Lollipop update without any acceptance from me.

I now have a notification in the top bar telling me that a software update is ready and has been downloaded, when I look in notifications it says software update postponed.

When I switch the phone off and on again I get a 'install update' screen which I have been ignoring by pressing the 'back' key but the annoying notification is still there and I can't get rid if it.

I do not want to upgrade to Lollipop as Eseenet is my main reason for having a smart phone and my concern is that the phone is somehow going to install the downloaded update to Lollipop either automatically or by me accidentally pressing accept install.

Is there any way I can get rid of the downloaded update or the notification so the update just goes away and doesn't happen?

Failing that my only option would be to change my phone type so does anyone know if HTC phones use android Lollipop or if they are compatible with Eseenet?

Normally, when a poster does not detail which of the 40 Galaxy S5 models or 3,000+ firmwares they have installed, I have a stock post, here, for determining just that.

However, from careful study of your post and using my Sherlock Holmes skills of deduction, I can say that if the update is being forced upon you then you must be running either of the two, non Samsung, carrier hybrid variants, AT&T or Verizon, firmwares and that since AT&T have yet to release Lollipop, you have the G900V, Verizon, model of phone with, currently, Android 4.4.2 installed. Am I correct?

If I am incorrect, then go to Settings > About device > Software updates > Auto update... and simply uncheck it.

If however, you do indeed have a Verizon model, G900V, running their hybrid carrier firmware, see #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, they do not allow their customers the same freedom of refusing updates that the rest of us has but rather, they force them on to their phones. There is no, "practical", way of stopping this I am afraid to say. Some have resorted to ticking update over Wi-Fi only and then have switched of their Wi-Fi connection forever. Others have accepted the part one of Verizon's unique two stage update, which serves to enlarges the KitKat system partition so that they can cram in all their bloatware on the part two of the Lollipop update, and then they have declined the second update for awhile. Unfortunately, it seems that you are only allowed by Verizon to decline this update for so long until it is then forced on to your phone.

In short... you can either turn your Wi-Fi connection off for the duration until Verizon decide to issue a bugfix update for their version of Lollipop. It has been 52 days now since the original release, during which time I have received 2 bugfix updates on my worldwide, G900F model, direct from Samsung, so give it another 2 -> 4 weeks and Verizon should get something out that may, hopefully, fix some things.

The other option is to accept the Lollipop firmware and downgrade to KitKat, see, Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide, each time you are forced by Verizon to upgrade again.

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful but at the end of the day, it is Verizon who are shoving the rough end of a pineapple where the sun don't shine, to their customers.

I am afraid that yours is not a, "Lollipop nightmare", but a, "Verizon nightmare", if you have the G900V.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
OK so my provider is Vodafone (I'm in the UK) and the phone model is Samsung SM-G900F the software version is 4.4.2
I have emailed Eseenet and their response was that their app does work with Lollipop and my reply was - no it doesn't. That conversation didn't go any further.
I can't turn Wifi off that would be impractical and I might as well not have a Smart phone, any ideas?

Upvote 0
OK so my provider is Vodafone (I'm in the UK) and the phone model is Samsung SM-G900F the software version is 4.4.2
I have emailed Eseenet and their response was that their app does work with Lollipop and my reply was - no it doesn't. That conversation didn't go any further.
I can't turn Wifi off that would be impractical and I might as well not have a Smart phone, any ideas?

Well, that's me shot up the arse! :eek:

(Note to self... use the stock reply, here, when posters do not give phone or firmware details)

Your update is not being forced on you and you can simply uncheck it, as described in my previous post, if you want to stay on KitKat. You don't have to turn your Wi-Fi off as you do not have the Verizon firmware. Developers of apps have now had 9 months to update their apps for Lollipop. Most have... some have not! That's their choice.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
OK I did that previously and the auto update box is unchecked, unfortunately my phone has already downloaded the update but not installed it as I keep pressing back when I see that notice to install it - hence the notification status of upgrade postponed.

It's that I need to get rid of so I wondered if the upgrade is stored somewhere on the phone and I can simply delete the file?

Upvote 0
OK I did that previously and the auto update box is unchecked, unfortunately my phone has already downloaded the update but not installed it as I keep pressing back when I see that notice to install it - hence the notification status of upgrade postponed.

It's that I need to get rid of so I wondered if the upgrade is stored somewhere on the phone and I can simply delete the file?

You could, as you have already backed up your data and info already, do a Factory Data Reset on the phone and make sure you have Software Update unchecked. This would get rid of the downloaded firmware and nag notification.

To find your exact firmware details, see #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. It is 3 lines of information that show your model of phone and CSC, (Customer Software Customisation), code. This determines your firmware and updates.

Upvote 0
So I just tried the factory reset, I made certain that Software update was unchecked before I reset and directly after the phone restarted.

As soon as I connected it to my WiFi it started downloading a software update and I now have the stupid lollipop update ready to install message again.

I give up. I'm going back to simple Nokia.

Upvote 0
So I just tried the factory reset, I made certain that Software update was unchecked before I reset and directly after the phone restarted.

As soon as I connected it to my WiFi it started downloading a software update and I now have the stupid lollipop update ready to install message again.

I give up. I'm going back to simple Nokia.

you can stop that update by following the steps in this post

* Lollipop Update delay by clearing cache 3 times *****

Upvote 0
Is this locked and subsidized phones having Lollipop updates forced by certain carriers, such as Verizon.

I do not think so mikedt but until we can get the full, "Version", details as per my post #8, I am not going to try and second guess, again, anything as the OP says that it is an international, G900F, running on Vodafone, which incidentally is my carrier in the UK and they do not force updates like Verizon. Initially, it appears that the poster did not uncheck automatic updates and the Lollipop firmware was downloaded and installed and was also originally downloaded on the replacement but I gather, was not installed.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have a question Homer67,you already had the installation update file on your phone, right? the one it's almost 1Gb size and then you did factory reset and KitKat was installed and not Lollipop? I have the same problem, I download the file but before update I read that people have problems with lollipop, so, now I want to stay with KitKat but I have the notification plus the file, which is 1gb wasted, I want to do factory reset to get rid of the file but I'm affraid that lollipop installs instead of staying kitkat.

Upvote 0

i finally worked out how to get rid of software upgrade notification after the upgrade downloaded without my permission. I didnt install lollipop as im happy with kitkat so a constant notification was in top left part of my phone (s5). Make sure you turn auto software upgrade off in settings-general-about device-software upgrade. I then used ES file explorer app and searched for "update" it found the 700 or 900mb file (cant remember exact size) i deleted it. I cleared cache (sertings-general-storage-cached data and turned phone off but when i turn it back on the notification was still there. I kept pressing install update and it would say upgrade postpone..i kept going into the notification about 4 times and kept pressing "install" and on the 4th time it said cant upgrade error goto kies to upgrade and i just clicked ok and the notification disappeared...i had rung samsung previously about getting rid of the notification and they couldn't help they told me to update.
hope this works for everyone ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones