Long charge time?Support

1. silentpope

silentpope New Member

It takes a really long time for the Lucid to top out its battery. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm using the OEM, not the extended, battery.

It dropped down to about 62% in somewhere around 7-8 hours, then took almost just as long (2 PM-8:40 PM) to top it off. I don't know if it's cause I'm using my computer rather than a wall socket to charge it, or if my USB port simply doesn't give enough power, or if this is just normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I'm not really doing anything but letting the phone charge in charge mode. Maybe the occasional text or app download, but nothing major.

Advertisement
  2. jasoraso

jasoraso Well-Known Member

It is normal for a phone to charge slower on a computer USB than a power adapter. Most computers only output 500ma of power to a USB port, most power adapters output 700ma, or even 1A, so they charge faster.

And although you said you weren't doing much with the phone, consider that many phones will actually use MORE than 500ma when doing heavy work (gps, data use - especially 4g). Many phones won't even charge in these cases (a common case is with 500ma car chargers when using the GPS).

If the phone is drawing 300ma during mild use, then only 200ma are being used to charge the battery when you are on a 500ma USB computer port. If you were on a 700 ma power adapter - you would have 400 ma to charge the battery (above the 300ma draw), so the battery should charge 2x as fast.

Edit: your numbers do seem exceptionally low, though. It is possible that the phone is programmed to "slow charge" when on a computer USB port. On other phones, I have seen "hacks" to remove this limitation. I would watch the charging speed while on a power adapter, my guess is that it will be much faster.
  3. blumeany

blumeany Well-Known Member

I've seen this complaint pop up a few times, but I haven't had any issues recharging. Granted, what I've been doing is letting my phone completely discharge and then charging it at night. But when I initially charged the phone and another previous time that I charged during the day, it didn't have any issues.

As the poster before me, usb charging takes FOREVER and is really only good for spot-charging when you're going to be on your computer for a while.
  4. silentpope

silentpope New Member

Hm, okay, I'll try that. I think I remember reading somewhere it's a good idea to let the battery run out the first time you use it, then fully charge it. I'll also see how it charges in a power plug.
  5. blumeany

blumeany Well-Known Member

Not sure if this will make a difference for you or not, but I use JuiceDefender (free version) to help preserve battery life. I noticed that my phone was charging pretty quickly up until today, when I had it plugged in a few times and was surprised how slow it was going. Coincidentally, I had just done a factory reset and had not yet re-installed JuiceDefender. Since JD (I use aggressive mode) turns off data/wifi after inactivity, that may allow the battery to recharge faster.
  6. Aightball

Aightball New Member

Just got a Lucid and notice a long charge time with a wall charger. The charger for my BlackBerry works, so I'm using that to charge it. It came with a charger "head" but no cord....and I can't figure out how to put it together. Is the charger the problem or just that the phone is new? I let the battery completely die out last night.
  7. htgmc

htgmc Member

Your blackberry charger is probably rated at 500ma (mine is). Factory wall charger for lucid is 1amp. Factory charger should charge twice as fast. If you want it to charge faster than that...get a tablet charger. My galaxy tab charger is rated at 2amps. Hope this helps.