• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Long Press Search question

meyerweb

Android Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2010
When I long press the search key, I get a list of apps to choose from. Is there a way to remove some of the entries from this list?

I know I can assign one as a default, but I don't want to do that. I want to leave a couple of the options, but I don't need Handcent and Dialer One to show up there.

No, not the home key. I know what that does. On the Evo, at least, a long press on the search button brings up the voice search, and other apps can apparently attach themselves to that function, too. The MultiTask Manager is one such program.

On my Evo, a long press of the search button brings up a list which includes Voice Search, MultiTask Manager, Handcent Quick Compose, and Dialer One.

I can't find any options in settings, either in the individual programs or in the phone's settings, to control this list.

Upvote 0
No, not the home key. I know what that does. On the Evo, at least, a long press on the search button brings up the voice search, and other apps can apparently attach themselves to that function, too. The MultiTask Manager is one such program.

On my Evo, a long press of the search button brings up a list which includes Voice Search, MultiTask Manager, Handcent Quick Compose, and Dialer One.

I can't find any options in settings, either in the individual programs or in the phone's settings, to control this list.
today, i accidentally found out about the search button long press you are talking about. i installed chompSMS, which gives you the option to choose a shortcut to compose a message. it can either be set to long press the camera button or the search key ;)

i believe you can only find the settings to this long press function in the apps that use it, as there are none in the phone settings. good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones