Long Story, hopefully shortGeneral

Last Updated:

1. mlc331

mlc331 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 21, 2009
    I had been a BlackBerry user for about 2 years. Had several of their full keyboard models. The last being the curve. When work started to cut back, all the supervisors turned their phones in and we went out on our own. Of course I got another blackberry. After about 6 months, I decided to put my wife and I on an Iphone and leave the kids and grandmother on verizon. Made sense, we are already MAC users and are full-on cool-aid drinkers for MAC. PC guys.... You'll come over from the dark side some day... :D
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the iphone. But after about 4 months, I actually paid to get out of the phones/contract. At&t was SIMPLY HORRIBLE! I went back to the BB Curve. Problem was that after you have an iphone, the BB just doesn't cut it on many levels. Internet, applications, user interface etc. etc. So I picked up a Moto droid within the first 30 day return thingy-mo-bob. Happy to be back in the saddle with verizon, I used the droid for about 5 months. I like it but some things were KILLING me. The slide out keyboard was useless to me. The feel was terrible. Waking the phone was a pain in that I continually hit the camera or volume buttons all the time. The UI was fairly steril and coming from the iphone, it was a bit too No-Frills for my taste. Also, in comparing the music player to that of the iphone... well, lets just say... I wasn't happy with it.
    Along came my introduction to the Eris by one of my employees. I REALLY liked the feel of it. I liked the hard button layout along with the track ball. The look was great and I seemed to really like what I later found out was the SENSE UI. I picked one up and have been using it for about a 3 weeks now. I really like it, but there are some issues. Not everything works on the phone. YouTube only works for me through the browser. The battery life is obismal especially when I didn't use a tack killer... I tried not using one, but I'd last about a half a day without it. I know, I know, that's a thread all by itself :rolleyes: The "favorite" widget doesn't always work correctly when trying to call some one, the lack of NAV and the over-all slow processing at times were some of the things that didn't set well with me.
    Now then, I tried to sell the Moto Droid on ebay and it sold. The guy never paid, and today I opened up a case. I was simply going to leave negative feedback but that's not an option anymore.... GO FIGURE!!! :mad:

Anyhow!!!! I looked at the Moto Droid and figured why not give it another go now that I've been using the Eris. So... I programmed the phone and am giving it another go. I will say that having the phone take a priority with Verizon is a bonus. Seems that there are ALWAYS updates for applications. Things just work a little better, or at least that's what I've found today. The phone is still bulky and isn't as nice as the Eris for feel and looks. But so far, and I hate to say it, the Moto Droid seems to be a little bit more thought through.... supported.... and well, less likely to become a paper weight. Who knows, I may go back to the Eris. Like everyone else, I've been waiting for the 2.x to be released. Unfortunately that maybe days, weeks, months... or a year away. For now, I guess I'm lucky that I have both to play with. I'll try to give a good, non-super-techno geek-everyday comparison in the next week or so.

How do I compare them both to the iphone??? I actually think the Eris could be better (except for the music player) than the iphone. Although the iphone was way more stable and WAY better on the battery front. The Iphones touch screen is unparalled in my opinion, but the Eris is still good. I'll check back with you all after a week or so.

Thanks for listening.

2. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    My guess is your eris is running the 1.5 software from some of the issues you were describing. In the 2.1 leak 2 software YouTube works great and is allot faster all around. Also the built in google nav kicks ... I don't even use my garmin anymore. I agree on the music player but I mostly use Pandora anyways. So whether you are waiting on the OTA or didn't know that you could goto 2.1 or not, there are better things coming for the eris. You also may want to look into the nexus one, should be coming out for Verizon soon ;-)