Long term battery health/life and charging question...Support

Last Updated:

1. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Kind of an odd question, but I listen to XM on my X while I'm at work. This obviously drains the battery pretty hard, so I wind up just hooking it via USB to my work computer all day. So in total my phone is charging around 16 or so hours a day.

For the long term battery health, would it be better to let it discharge more or just keep it plugged in?

Advertisement
  2. irmac

irmac Well-Known Member

I've heard that keeping the phone charging after it reaches 100% can cause the battery life to slowly get worse and worse but I don''t think this is true. Developers know people leave their phones charging over night and wouldn't create something that didn't take that into consideration.

So I'd say, don't worry about it :)

3. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't worry about it.

I've been charging all of my mobile phones overnight for as long as I can remember. It hasn't hurt anything. And worst case scenario you can just buy a new battery if you need to.

4. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

not so much worried about charging it overnight but more so while I'm at work and listening to streaming radio through it. But if I didn't the battery would be dead before I left work.

5. arcturussage

arcturussage Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was going to ask something similar. I was always told you should run down the battery all the way, charge to full and repeat a few times. Today a friend told me that isn't the case anymore. Anyone know what the current practice is?