• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Long time owners chit-chat thread

I started off with this phone. Rocked it for two years. My first rom was BACKside and I have to say I loved it, now it's running my own Rom based off mirage. I just got a HTC Desire, it's already rooted but I still have my OV. I just can't get rid of it and I still love hopping onto it from time to time. I had some awesome times with that phone. I'm still amazed to see how the Devs are still getting this little guy to run anything and everything.

Upvote 0
The OV was my first and still my only smartphone. And it's because of the great people in this awesome forum that I ever managed to root it and flash a rom 2 years ago...and I'm still using that Harmonia rom. :)

This summer, we will be moving to a more rural location (ugh, lol) that has horrible cell service, no more VM...boohoo! I'll be giving up my $25/month plan (ouch) and I guess this wonderful phone! :(

I would be tempted to flash kitkat on this V, though I doubt I could remember how to flash anything, haha.

Upvote 0
I do have gotten started off this device.

It was my first Android Phone, and it's what got me into everything. I never looked a Google as just a search engine after I learned Android and yadayadayada. I also met many of you along the way. Moving onto the next device and so on, running into old forum friends really makes you feel good inside. :p

Feels like just yesterday we were just waiting for the next IHO build to be released. ☆

Upvote 0
I remember helping you through that! If you're not going to have service, you can still use your OV as a WiFi device. Oh, and for your needs you're probably better off with Harmonia anyway. KitKat on the OV is still experimental, and buggy. There's plenty of...quirks, whereas Harmonia is stable and reliable.

Would I be able to use my V after I disconnect service with VM?

And thanks again for all the help back then, it was invaluable!

Upvote 0
The V is still a very good WiFi device, mp3 player, etc.
My spare has never been activated by me and it will do everything but phone, and 3G.
With the new Google Hangouts it might even do text messages on WiFi (not tested by me yet).
Personal opinion:
Flash the MiRaGe ROM. There is no better ROM for the V.
I had been running thekravens Jellybean ROM that I modded and themed (Bean_Whiz), but the V just doesn't have the proper hardware to support anything above Gingerbread.
Everything above Gingerbread will lag, freeze, and or reboot occasionally and take up more time fixing or maintaining.

Note: I posted a guide in the All Things Root Guide sticky. How to install a flash_image; flash a recovery, ROM, and theme. After reading it, post questions there. I'll be happy to help get whatever ROM you decide to put on your V installed.

Upvote 0
I love my Optimii. I have 2 decommissioned OVs and and 2 used OSs. They are just amazing machines.

I second the Mirage rom it is great. I will eventually try Kit Kat once it gets a tad more stable

I'm currently running Bigsupersquid's KitKat, the internal ROM version. Using SpazeDog's Mounts2SD for linking duties to ext4 partition. Runs great so far. Battery and accelerometer are the only issues I have with this ROM; might try a battery saver app and see if things improve. Slight cutoff of sounds when turning screen on or off with audio/music playback. Other than those issues, it's good enough for me to use daily.

Check it out:
[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2][OS2SD/internal]OV-KitKat (JBC based) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Upvote 0
Just thought I chime in and say the Optimus V was also my 1st Android phone. I had such a great experience with it (after ROMs) and I do miss Leslie's Harmonia as well. Rocked it for about a year or two then jumped on the $120 (I think) Moto Triumph on Black Friday. Later on switched to a Galaxy S2 and now Nexus 4 but how I miss my OV. It did almost everything I needed at the time and extremely durable (dropped prob 100 times lol) I still have it in the closet somewhere and was thinking about taking it out for a test drive. Anyways I've blabbed on for too long, just wanted to say that this Forum was what started it all for me and who I blame for being a Flashaholic. Thanks little OV and Android Forums :D

Upvote 0
Just thought I chime in and say the Optimus V was also my 1st Android phone. I had such a great experience with it (after ROMs) and I do miss Leslie's Harmonia as well. Rocked it for about a year or two then jumped on the $120 (I think) Moto Triumph on Black Friday. Later on switched to a Galaxy S2 and now Nexus 4 but how I miss my OV. It did almost everything I needed at the time and extremely durable (dropped prob 100 times lol) I still have it in the closet somewhere and was thinking about taking it out for a test drive. Anyways I've blabbed on for too long, just wanted to say that this Forum was what started it all for me and who I blame for being a Flashaholic. Thanks little OV and Android Forums :D

Well, dust it off and flash something!!!

Upvote 0
So sorry to ghear about your loss man.... oh well they are just materal things. as for me i got my OV out of that box (yay!) and even found myself a OS that wont take roms i think it failed on a S/W update. ill look into it later... and a LG Optimus Logic witch is stuck in emergency mode. i has all the dead phones!

Upvote 0
I've been using my OV for about two years now, another friend's had his for three.

I just picked up an additional (used) OV off of eBay for $10.78. Its only problem is a scratch which should be easy enough to buff out.

It's a great phone, and while I do occasionally think about getting a phone with more memory or a larger screen, it would take a lot to convince me that another phone could be more well built to survive accidental drops than my OV.

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
Long time no see.
Ah yes the Optimus V that which I have converted many, many times.
Too bad I can't do it anymore :/ Cricket's GSM now with AT&T.
With that outta the way, the OV was an exceptional device. Especially with all the development, this rivals the Sensation that I currently have (in terms of devs; I don't run ICS on the Sensation :D I run GB) It's still use-able but the ESN has gone bad (reported stolen when I flashed back to stock + tried to activate with VM again). I miss all my old phones to be honest. I miss the ol' Triumph I had. Also, 4.4.3? Dang. I'm suprised it still even fits lol
In fact, I found a 16GB microSD outside school and was able to install KK. The battery life is phenomenal. (That is, after installing a external battery)
Anyways, later. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Since my family lost everything my OV is long gone. I'm using the F3 now and while it is a nice phone the lack of a custom recovery and zero development is disappointing to say the least.

There is development going on! Just not at the level of the V due to the locked boot loader. 2 custom CWMs, and 4 ROMs. The ROMs are based on the JB V5/V6 firmware made by LG specifically for the VM F3. So there you go, not great but not completely dead.

Upvote 0
I finally had to get a different service provider. I'm closer to a tower than I've ever been and only average 90kb/s. Use to be when they throttled me I still got at least 25kb/s, but now that I'm closer I'm getting only 15kb/s. Can't do anything with that speed at all. It should be way faster.

The LG Optimus L70 was only $50.00 from Metro PCS.
4.5 inch screen, 4.4.2 KitKat, 1.5GB internal, 1.2GHz processor, and 1GB of RAM. I got the $40.00 plan which is 500MB's at 4G and everything after that at....3G. I can handle that.
They have root, but can't figure out how to get a custom recovery installed just yet.
I had to change the folder path of App Manager III and move it's folder from the internal SD to my external SD, changed the download path in UC Browser (only one so far that I've found that would allow me to do it) to the external SD, and changed the path for App Tyrant.
Other than that I really, really like the phone.
Will still keep one V so I can keep improving Bean_Whiz, and test out new combo bootanimation creations, and test new versions of bigsuoersquids KitKat ROM.
Will still keep All Things Root Guide up to date and help others unbrick their phones.
I'm not going anywhere, just going to be in more forums.

Upvote 0
There is development going on! Just not at the level of the V due to the locked boot loader. 2 custom CWMs, and 4 ROMs. The ROMs are based on the JB V5/V6 firmware made by LG specifically for the VM F3. So there you go, not great but not completely dead.
I found the recoveries, and have one on now. :) Roms, on the other hand, have been more elusive. Where did you find them? I looked on XDA, but they don't even have a section for the F3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones