[LOOK]Nexus 7 Charges only when It's off?Support

1. Traelyn

Traelyn Well-Known Member

Why does my Nexus 7 only charge when It's off? It says "connect a charger" when It's on.

Advertisement
  2. Internaut

Internaut Well-Known Member

I've seen that happen when I've been abroad. While on holiday in Lanzarote last year, I found I had to switch the Nexus 7 off to get it to charge. Whether or not it will charge when switched on seems to be dependent on the quality of the local power supply.
  3. Netcat

Netcat Well-Known Member

When you say off, do you mean powered off completely or put to sleep by taping on the power button?

Whatever the wall voltage is, the power supply converts it to +5VDC. That is the USB standard and that's what the N7 uses. The wall voltage could be 230VAC/50Hz or 115VAC/60Hz it doesn't matter.

The N7 should charge whenever it's plugged into a power supply or USB port, whether it's on or off or sleeping. I have an old BT headset charger that's only 0.75A, but when I plug it in to my N7, I see the little lightning bolt in the battery up near the clock. It's charging, although slower than with a 2A charger.
  4. Traelyn

I mean by being actually powered off.

Also, I try different plug outlets and it still doesn't work.
  5. gbynum

gbynum Well-Known Member

The only thing I'll add is that I have not had the problem. From a computer, if my N7 is on, there does not seem to be enough current available from the USB port (spec says 500mA). I see the same in my car.

From my Motorola (850 mA) I charge slowly when on. With the Asus (2.0A), I seem to charge a little more quickly off, but have never compared it with the tablet on.

I'd recommend you check your cable ... AFAIK, I only use the Motorola and Asus cables which are sturdier than some others, and MAY use specific connections
  6. 2ndHalfCor

2ndHalfCor Well-Known Member

Are you using the Asus 2.0 amp charger that came with it? If so, I'm guessing it is defective.
  7. Traelyn

I'm using my ASUS charger cable. I tried a different ASUS cable and still doesn't work.
    I tried charging a different Nexus 7 and it works fine. Its something with my Nexus 7 Itself.
  8. Alex xander

Alex xander Member

You need a 2 amp cable and usb socket
  9. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Yes as manual stated, it needs 2A from power source to charge, if you use lower amp source you must turn it off.

As far as I remember computer USB ports only provide 0.5A, car cigarette lighter up to 1A, so unless you order a specific N7 wall/car charger you probably won't be able to charge it properly.