Lookin for someone to root my Evo w/ Custom Kernal

Last Updated:

1. 68Novaman

68Novaman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I live in Riverside County, CA and I'm looking for someone who knows how to root Evo's in stock 2.2 with a custom kernal. Send me a PM if you can do it.

-Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello novaman.

I've moved your query about rooting the Evo to that device's rooting forums where it's more likely you'll get responses than in the classifieds area.

3. 68Novaman

ok thanks

4. IsaacRCCL

IsaacRCCL Active Member

Cant stress enough to lrn it on your own... Sprint/HTC constantly have some kinda update that drives Developers crazy an they scramble to get it fixed. That said, you constantly have to be tweaking your phone to keep up with the jones.

5. 68Novaman

I'd love to do it myself but using a Mac just makes it that much harder to do it for my first time. I think I'm gonna head to a friends house that has Windows and give it a try there.

6. DirtyDozen

DirtyDozen Active Member

its a pain in the @ss to learn if you have on idea what your doing but rewarding when your done and you got it right

7. m6284505

m6284505 Well-Known Member

It only took me a few nights and a few tries to get it working once I found unrEVOked 3.2. It's not really hard, you just have to be willing to put time into it and search your butt off when you get stuck.
    Now the CM B2 rom...that'll piss a person off when you go through that and then find out there is no 4G. So search all the pros and cons of roms before you waste time with them.

8. 68Novaman

Well I am officially rooted in 2.2 just need to find a good kernal and figure how to flash it now. Any easy tutorial on how to do that?

9. GrandMasterBirt

GrandMasterBirt Well-Known Member

My biggest recommendation. Look through the forms for the idiot proof rooting guide. Read up on what rooting is (10 times if u must) because rooting = you can mess yourself up in ways you can't with a non-rooted phone, which means probably a wipe, etc. If you not willing to put the effort, you will only hurt yourself in the long run.

10. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I remember a Sprint OTA a couple of months ago that messed up peoples phones much worse than rooting could have...

11. 68Novaman

Well I rooted after 3 hours yesterday just gotta figure the whole difference between a Rom and a Kernal?? And how to flash both or just a kernal so I can have the fps unlocked

12. GrandMasterBirt

While possible, sprint/htc support will respond to that. While here you are now on your own.

Edit: I doubt my wife would want to mess around with the OS as much as I have, she just wants everything to just work, she does not want to fix it if it breaks.

13. GrandMasterBirt

essencially
    A rom is a distribution.

A kernel is the operating system.

The kernel is the part of the OS that controls little insignificant things like who gets to use which memory, who gets to access which file, who gets to run on the cpu, what voltage the cpu should have at any given point in time, etc. In other words the kernel is the heart of your operating system.

The rom is the whole distribution. Includes all the things that you need in addition to the kernel, like a keyboard app, GUI, shells, etc. Basically think of the Kernel as the core of Windows (and drivers are essentially plugins to the kernel), and the Rom as Windows 7 (everything else).

There are multiple kernels that you can run with the same rom. The rom comes with a kernel by default (Fresh 3.2 comes with the Fresh kernel based on a stock kernel, Burnt Droid uses the netarchy kernel) however you can install a different kernel by downloading the .zip (kernel only) and flashing it using the recovery tool (remember to wipe your dalvak cache from the recovery tool before you flash a new kernel) if it works, horray, if not, use nand recovery to roll back (assuming you made a recovery before flashing a kernel).

As with all processes, nandroid is your friend. Always nandroid before flashing anything unless you are prepared to lose all data by clearing cache and wiping internal storage and restoring or flashing a new rom. Sometimes you wind up making something unstable.

Example:

ROM Distribution http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=745738
    Kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=719763