Looking Ahead: Retire or Repurpose?

Last Updated:

1. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was thinking on a long car ride home yesterday about the usefulness of my Droid for lots more than just a phone. Although newer phones have hit the market with new bells and whistles, I am still very happy with this phone I purchased over a year ago now. Unlike previous (dumb) phones I've had in the past, I'm thinking this "phone" will likely be re-purposed rather than retired if and when I upgrade it next year to get something that supports 4G with a front-facing camera (and root-able of course).

I'm assuming that if the Droid does not have an associated 3G/voice plan associated with it, it will still connect to a wi-fi signal right? I also assume it will still get a GPS signal? If so, I see no reason (other than that the new phone will also do these things) to keep using my original Droid as a GPS device, a gaming device, and a web browser much the same way an iPod Touch would be used.

Anyone else thinking about ways to reuse this device rather than retire/recycle it when they decide to upgrade for whatever reason?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I am eligible for an upgrade tomorrow. While I am not considering upgrading to anything that is available at this time, I'm guessing that there will be a few phones that I will be interested in come late January or February. At that time, I'm thinking of giving my DROID to my wife so she can use it as just a phone and wifi device without a data plan. Although, we are considering the $15/mo data plan that Verizon now carries.

3. hikersc

hikersc Active Member

When I purchased my used Droid 1 it had no voice plan as it had not been activated. It opens on the activation screen (with the little green android guy) but there is a way to bypass that screen to get to your applications and you can use WiFi. You will have limitations with trying to use as a GPS as Google maps needs a connection (WiFi or 3G) to download and display the map data for navigation.

You see lots of Droids on eBay with bad ESN's so I presume that many folks are purchasing to use without 3G. Even without the GPS would be handy for surfing the net if your have WiFi at home, office, or airport.

By the way, GO WOLFPACK!

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Bypass activation

JonnyK429 likes this.
  5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Hmm, does Verizon allow activation of a smartphone on their network without a data plan? Cause I know they don't allow buying a smartphone under a contract on their network without a data plan, but can you get just voice once the smartphone is out-of-contract?