Looking ahead to 2.2 froyo and root

Last Updated:

1. n8_cmt

n8_cmt Member This Topic's Starter

This is my first real post. I haven't seen anything discussed so please excuse me if there is a thread that I've missed.

Recently, I've been reading about android 2.2 coming out with Flash 10 support. I haven't seen an official date yet but it sounds like it's coming very soon. I've been running BB v1.0 and love it. That being said, I want this new update asap but I don't want to lose root. Is there going to be any BB or similar rom using the update? I've read Google has the code under wraps. Root users had all the benefits of ese53 weeks before 2.1 was distributed, will we see a repeat or are root users going to need to wait for custom roms or risk losing root when 2.2 comes?

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

The odds of "losing" root because of 2.2 are basically none.

The OTA won't be out for months, and by then, you would have already been reaping the features of 2.2 from custom ROMs.

As soon as it's on AOSP, devs will snatch it up and integrate it into their ROMs.

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Okay good...your rooted...stay that way. When the update rolls in, one or more of the devs will produce rooted versions pretty quickly (not really a custom ROM...just a version of the stock OTA update that you can flash and still have root). Soon there after...you will have custom ROMs that use the new OTA update as a base...much like it is now with ESE81.

The reason that we all had ESE53 ROMs early is because they were "leaked" by someone a Moto supposedly.

4. Fabolous

Yeah, but now that Koush is porting over CM to Droid, we won't need to wait for a leaked ESE or ERE build, because we'll have 2.2 built from source :D

5. UBRocked

How quickly do they update the AOSP before releasing the update? I thought the Nexus 1 (running 2.1) was the reason that the 2.1 source was available for Cyanogen. If there aren't any phones running 2.2 will AOSP get updated very long before the droid update comes?

6. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Only one problem..(correct me if I am wrong).

Android 2.2 WILL of course be open source with all its code posted.. however Adobe products aren't.. If I am right the source code for Flash might not be put up for grabs..:(

7. Fabolous

Oh yeah!

Well, at least we'll have our Turbo Dalvik :(

8. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Oh no, another 2.2 thread, just like I said in the previous thread, it begins...

9. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

Someone needs to ask when 2.2 is coming to complete this thread! Oh and don't forget flash.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. silkchaos

silkchaos Well-Known Member

When is 2.2 coming? And when is flash?
    (feel better now Soultics?)

11. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

YES...2.2 and Flash are out....where can I get it....lol

12. UBRocked

I can't find a link! Someone please post it!

I heard that this update adds 1 gig of RAM so that Flash doesn't bog the phone down. Also, I don't know how they did it but I read that they added some diodes that automatically sync up to the UTC clock for a faster processor as well. And if that isn't enough...when you enable JIT you phone will shit out a little android named "Froyo" and he can schedule your appointments, do your calculus homework, make you Ramen noodles, etc...it's really quite impressive!

Anyone post screenshots?

PS...Everyone should feel bad for BlackDroid! This was pulled from his IRC...he has been patiently waiting on the little green droid to plop out so he could claim him as his own creation! Poor guy is just waiting but the phone doesn't need to go #2 right now! :(

[​IMG]

:D

13. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

OMG

14. UBRocked

15. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 Well-Known Member

I here a application called SkyFire allows you to run flash on a client-server type relationship. :)

16. UBRocked

Man, Froyo came crashing through the screen...grabbed all the stolen files off the phone, and then...well look! Tough little shit ain't he?

[​IMG]

:eek:

zanza likes this.
  17. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

UBR owes ska.t73 one keyboard... coffee is hard to get out of a keyboard!!!

18. UBRocked

Sorry man...I was frustrated at work today so we had a BD bashing party...unfortunately innocent keyboards get caught in the line of fire ;)

19. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

20. UBRocked

Yeah, it sounds good. I'm hoping JIT is stable with 2.2 but I remain skeptical. I know the JIT we have now is NOWHERE as fast as reported in that article (nor is it stable). if you are overclocked, have JIT enabled, and you hit 15+ MFLOPs...you're doing pretty good. 37 MFLOPs? Hmmm. I'm not saying it's not true, but like I said...I remain skeptical.

21. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

My guess is they will tone down (cripple) JIT to maximize stability if needed. The last thing they want is a customer service nightmare (same reason most routers come with all security turned off).

22. UBRocked

True...but if so I'm sure we will have a fix for that being rooted.

Seriously...why would anyone NOT root? I mean, I understand those people who bought the phone and don't even know there are custom ROMs and such...but there are so many people on the forums here that aren't rooted...Makes no sense to me :confused:

23. borgey401

borgey401 Member

I was just asking myself the same damn question. Why wouldn't you want total control over your handset? But it is always fun to show stock droid owners all the cool stuff we gain by rooting and rubbing it in their face

24. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I have about 10 friends/relatives with Droids. 1/2 are rooted (I rooted them though). The other half are like "I don't want to mess up my phone", and no matter how much I explain to them, they won't do it. Crazy...

25. borgey401

borgey401 Member

Yeah I've ran into people like that myself too. I don't get it to be completely honest you have to be pretty much a dumb ass to brick a droid. I have put my droid through A LOT of shit and it's still running really strong.