• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking at getting an n5 but have a few questions first.

alpha2k

Android Expert
Nov 19, 2009
Ok for me a selling point of a phone a definatly the gps. While most or the majority go after the camera , for me it's the gps. A phone can have the best specs in the world, be generations ahead of the game, but if the gps sux or works very poorly I won't be getting said phone no matter how good the rest of the phone is. I transport cars locally from auction to dealer and dealer to auction so I tend to use gps often, more so than an avg person will use I ever, so a good AND fast lock on is a must.

So that being said I have to ask, for those of you who use your gps frequently, how is the gps lock?......I don't mean searching for the phone, I mean actual lock onto the phone. I am currently on an s3 right now and this gps is very nice, 2-3 second most all the time, never more than 5 seconds ever.

Also for a high medium usage to low-mid high usage, how does the battery fair? (Like in hours). I can stretch around 8-10 leaning more towards the 10 side with my s3.

Yeah heh sorry.

I'm just trying to get a round figure of how long in a day the battery on avg will last. I know there are variables so it's kinda hard to say, I just wanted to get ideas of "some" sort at least.

I normally like watch some you Tube videos, check mail now and then, surf the web but that's normally rare, I rarely if at all play games. You tube would be my main battery drain, but I mostly just text and phone call on avg most days.

Upvote 0
My GPS was/is poor, sent it back to LG due it taking 3 or 4 minutes to get a lock, then still losing it. They replaced the back cover due a bad connection, still not that good.
My wifes S3 see's and locks to 18-20 satellites within 3 or 4 seconds, mine see's the same amount but locks to 8-10 in anything from 10 to 90 seconds in the same location.
If you're mainly wanting GPS then I wouldn't recommend it :(

Upvote 0
Ok thanks. That kinda takes the wind out of my sails so to speak. I like the phone but as I said in the main post I rely on it quite a bit more than normal people do so this is kinda a let down.
Thanks for the input though and the info. Guess I'll continue waiting for the g3 to drop down.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks. That kinda takes the wind out of my sails so to speak. I like the phone but as I said in the main post I rely on it quite a bit more than normal people do so this is kinda a let down.
Thanks for the input though and the info. Guess I'll continue waiting for the g3 to drop down.

My Nexus 5 has no issue with GPS; I really think the person who has GPS problems just has a bad Nexus 5 that LG didn't fix properly. Also, if you buy from the Play store, if you get a bad Nexus 5 they do an exchange (send you a replacement, then you send your phone back) rather than repairing your phone -- so if you get a phone with a bad GPS you don't have to worry about it not being fixed correctly. I'll also mention I've had 2 Nexus 5s (had first one replaced due to screen issue) and neither have had problems with the GPS.

The only "issue" with the GPS is that it runs the battery hard, running the GPS for 2 hours while driving (screen on) would run the battery on my Nexus down to about 50%. That is easily fixed if you have a good car charger (1.5A or higher); if you have only a 1A car charger the Nexus will likely still lose charge while using, just slower.

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
My Nexus 5 has no issue with GPS; I really think the person who has GPS problems just has a bad Nexus 5 that LG didn't fix properly. Also, if you buy from the Play store, if you get a bad Nexus 5 they do an exchange (send you a replacement, then you send your phone back) rather than repairing your phone -- so if you get a phone with a bad GPS you don't have to worry about it not being fixed correctly. I'll also mention I've had 2 Nexus 5s (had first one replaced due to screen issue) and neither have had problems with the GPS.

The only "issue" with the GPS is that it runs the battery hard, running the GPS for 2 hours while driving (screen on) would run the battery on my Nexus down to about 50%. That is easily fixed if you have a good car charger (1.5A or higher); if you have only a 1A car charger the Nexus will likely still lose charge while using, just slower.

Interesting. I will be going through sprint so I spose I could return it. I'm just leary is all I don't want to get a known defect in a phone and repeat my samsung s2 days again. That thing simply had a funky and wonky gps hardware but it was a known issue after awhile and the companies knew it yet never admitted to it until later down the road, so by that time it was kinda just to late in the game, people moved on so it never did get fixed.

If I get the n5 I'm kinda getting it later after release so I'm hoping they have finally ironed out the bad batches and glitches with the phone.

I'd like to see more people chime in to make a decision.

I do have it in order, So I have until at least tues, before 6pm central time to make the final choice. I'm not yet bound by any agreement as of yet.

On a side note, I like the phone a lot aside from that. I've read that the camera was sub par, but honestly the pics I saw that I took, to me were honestly not half bad. Then again I'm no photographer either so I guess I don't set high standards when it comes to the camera.

Anyways if others could chime in on the gps that would help me emensly.

Upvote 0
I've been watching some YouTube videos and it seems the older batch phones have gps issues whereas the newer batch phones have been fixed perhaps.

The batch numbers are:
Older = 310
Newer = 311

The way you tell is from the first three numbers of the serial number.

Could you check and post back your batch just as a test

Scooby: if you said your having bad gps problems I'd be willing to bet your first three of the serial number are 310 where mogel has no gps issues so the first three of that phones serial are 311.

Upvote 0
I have six... Yes you read it right, six Nexus 5 models I've purchased for my family members.

Started out buying just one upon their release. It performed so well I bought another. Used those two trouble free for months when the others decided they too wanted a Nexus.

Let's remember this is the internet and many people love to complain, often over issues easily resolved with a bit of patience.

GPS performs fast and accurately, it's a feature I use heavily.

Battery life is very good but I'm not going to mention specific runs times since there's far too many variables in how each of us uses our phones. I've had all the latest Android phones including the ones you see below my username on the left, all of which I currently own and use, therefore my point is experience.

Personally I NEVER let battery performance be a deal breaker. It's too easy to carry an ANKER brand external battery, a short USB cable and enjoy hours of run time.

Oh sure it'd be nice to avoid that but thanks to Apples Obsession with wafer thin phones and their massive influence on the industry, great battery life is out of the question.

At the end of the day as I compose this message on My Nexus 5... I highly endorse this model that's backed by Google's excellent customer service, just a phone call away.

Reactions: Hook
Upvote 0
@alpha2k - you sure you don't want to wait for the next Nexus (rumored to be released end of October)? :D

Yeah. My phone is acting really wonky for some reason. One issue is my dial pad like locks up. I can't end cal, dial numbers, nothing. I have to put the phone to sleep and wake it again to make it work. It's gradually getting worse and doing it more often. I've done a factory reset twice now no fix at all. So no I'm not gonna take a chance.

Zipered:
2 questions.
Do all the gps on every phone work?
And, what batch do you have on those, are they all 311?

Upvote 0
Well this truly does suck. I got a nexus 5 tonight tested the gps and it locked within seconds so I was pretty happy.
So I go setting the phone up, got the settings I like set up then I tried to adjust the toggle settings and to my shock and surprise, guess what. .... you can't.

That's a no seller for me because I'm not about to root it right out of the gate and void any warranty I have to repair it, not on the first day. Samsung and LG have adjustable toggle right out of the box without root. Had this been an outright buy I would probably root it but this is a new 2yr contract so nope, not that quickly.

Anyways I want to thank everyone for the replies and help, I really do appreciate it, even if I am taking it back.

Upvote 0
Wait what toggle are you talking about? I couldn't quite make it out from your post.

The toggle in the notification pull down, ie: data, gps, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.

You can't rearrange the tiles or add/remove certain tiles.

Oh I could use an app and clutter my home screens or use an app to put in the notification pull down but then I have even less room to work with or less home screen room and would basically have double toggles since you can't disable the stock ones either.

I did some reading and research and the only way to do it is to root.

Reactions: GuitarG20
Upvote 0
Yeah, the only way to rearrange them is to root. I thought you meant that one or more didn't do what you expect - some of them are tricky and require a long press or short press. But it is correct that you can't change the order.

It is a feature that is being "considered" for L when it is released, but that's no help to you in the present unfortunately.

Upvote 0

I talked with Sprint just out of curiosity since I'm planning on bringing it back anyways, but I asked about the rooting part and was informed it does void repair warranty thru sprint. I'm not sure about Google but I guess google doesn't mind maybe, although as a general practice from when I've asked just for my"useless" information, they all say the same thing, that it does void warrenty thru that company.

I guess to it depends on who you talk to, because I've had friends return it and the companies sent a rma phone out., so I dunno I think I'm gonna pass because with my luck I'll root it and they'll all just say sorry sucker!

Upvote 0
I talked with Sprint just out of curiosity since I'm planning on bringing it back anyways, but I asked about the rooting part and was informed it does void repair warranty thru sprint. I'm not sure about Google but I guess google doesn't mind maybe, although as a general practice from when I've asked just for my"useless" information, they all say the same thing, that it does void warrenty thru that company.

I guess to it depends on who you talk to, because I've had friends return it and the companies sent a rma phone out., so I dunno I think I'm gonna pass because with my luck I'll root it and they'll all just say sorry sucker!

Yeah, as XRDC45 indicated, that's for phones bought from Google Play. If you buy it from a carrier, even though they in fact have done no modifications, they will say differently, even though they would be simply returning a stock Google phone too Google. The policy is based more on their regular carrier phones and they simply don't adjust the policy for the special case of a Nexus. If you buy from Google Play and take it to Sprint, however, you go through Google, not Sprint.

Upvote 0
Well I called Sprint. She said as long as the phone was not rooted it should not be an issue.

That being said I think I will try and work with this phone if at all possible, in root mode of course.

I'll be using the simple like automated method not the command line method, I am horrible at command line stuff.

Now for the questions.
1: to my understanding you first unlock the bootloader then root ie: supersu, root stuff etc. This will only be if I have hardware issues with the phone and have to send it in to repair it.......Once the bootloader is unlocked, how easy is it to un-root and lock the bootloader again?

2: using towelroot + supersu doesn't touch the bootloader at all. I am guessing I will have to have the bootloader unlocked in order to flash roms I prefer to use?
If I can just use towelroot + supersu and still flash roms I'll be rooting that way tonight and installing a rom for sure.

3: can philz recovery be used on the n5?

4: before flashing a Rom how would I go about saving a stock no root image for flashing back to........ Or is there an imsge already out there? If so can you provide a link for me please.

I hope I covered everything and I hope I didn't ask to many questions.

Upvote 0
1: to my understanding you first unlock the bootloader then root ie: supersu, root stuff etc. This will only be if I have hardware issues with the phone and have to send it in to repair it.......Once the bootloader is unlocked, how easy is it to un-root and lock the bootloader again?

2: using towelroot + supersu doesn't touch the bootloader at all. I am guessing I will have to have the bootloader unlocked in order to flash roms I prefer to use?
If I can just use towelroot + supersu and still flash roms I'll be rooting that way tonight and installing a rom for sure.

3: can philz recovery be used on the n5?

4: before flashing a Rom how would I go about saving a stock no root image for flashing back to........ Or is there an imsge already out there? If so can you provide a link for me please.

I hope I covered everything and I hope I didn't ask to many questions.

1) Extremely easy. These are development devices, so google hasn't prevented unrooting or rooting in any way.

2) You will want to do the full bootloader unlock. Unlocking the bootloader will not void your warranty through google, and sprint last time I checked doesn't care if its rooted either.

3)TWRP is the recovery of choice for the N5.

4)You can create a nandroid backup to save previous setups. As far as stock no rooted, I wouldnt bother with a nandroid for that, as google provides us the factory images to get back to stock-nonrooted if we need to.

Upvote 0
1) Extremely easy. These are development devices, so google hasn't prevented unrooting or rooting in any way.

I wouldnt bother with a nandroid for that, as google provides us the factory images to get back to stock-nonrooted if we need to.

Do you have a link by chance for the images so I can bookmark for later download?
What do you flash the google images with? I'm used to using odin with my s3.

I'm pretty confident I can do all this.
Rooting won't be the issue I'm plenty comfortable rooting, its the back to factory I worry about.

I'll just need access to a pc before hand is all.

Upvote 0
Do you have a link by chance for the images so I can bookmark for later download?
What do you flash the google images with? I'm used to using odin with my s3.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
The link actually has instructions on the flash process too. There is an option to skip wiping the device (In windows, edit the flash-all.bat and remove the “-w” part where it says “fastboot -w update image-….zip”) - but a wipe is not a bad idea.

Also, remember that if you are taking the phone back to sprint, in addition to unrooting and relocking the bootloader, you have to reset a tamper flag. (read the end of the first post at this link

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones