1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a camera app that has a compass direction overlay

Last Updated:

1. wxjoe

wxjoe Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks,

I'm a bit new to Android but after searching on the Market, the web and this forum, I can't seem to find anything like this... but I feel like it has to exist (or hopefully will soon).

I'm looking for a camera application that can place the current compass direction on the image (and stamp the saved image with the direction). The tilt of the phone would be cool to have, too, but just the compass would be great.

I did find an application that shows the compass direction on over top of a feed from the camera ("Reality + Compass" by Udell Enterprises). I want something just like this, but with the ability to save the image.

In case you're wondering, I'd like to use this for bettering the storm spotting community. A problem when people send in images of clouds/storms/tornadoes/etc is that you never know (1) where the picture was taken and (2) in what direction. Ideally GPS location could be added, too... but for now I just want the compass. (Other image services can handle the location part fine, like Twitter for Android/Twitpic.)

Thanks and feel free to move this topic if it is in the wrong place. (FYI I'm on the HTC Aria, but I can sideload apps now thanks to the new version of HTC Sync.)

Advertisement
  2. smackson

smackson New Member

Hey, Joe,

I was looking for the same thing. I have neither Android nor iPhone right now but thinking about both.

The reason iPhone is cool is that someone wrote a totally awesome-looking app for this, when the 3GS came out with its compass function:

http://hunter.pairsite.com/theodolite/

Want want want! But, I'm on Sprint and if I want a device that I can really use as a phone too, it would need to be on Sprint...

So.... I emailed the developer of Theolodite, asked if there was an Android port in the works. He basically said "No, someone would have to front the $10-$15k it would cost him to develop it."

If you have that kind of money lying around, I'll get you in touch with him, and I'll line up to get an Android phine so I can buy the app when it's done being ported!! :p

3. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

seriously? 10 to 15k to develop that type of app????

4. smackson

smackson New Member

If we assume that he's a fairly well paid developer, with plenty of full-time work (Let's just give the benefit of the doubt at $120k) then his "port price" would indicate that he thinks it would cost him a month, to a month and a half, of his time... at least (because he'd also get some $$ for per-download sales).

I don't know enough about developing for iPhone or Android to know if this is silly. If the guy doesn't know Android at all, then there's surely a learning curve.

In other news, looks like I'm going to get an EVO. I'm going to start digging in to what it would take to develop cool tools like this myself.

5. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

i want to also, thinking of taking some classes locally and online toward that goal. my kids are ALMOST both at school age, that's what i need to make it happen. i love this stuff, but coding with them in the background would be utterly impossible :rolleyes:

6. greghauger

greghauger New Member

I too am looking for an Android app which will overlay compass, inclination and GPS position information on a photo. The Spyglass app for iPhones would be ideal if available for Android!