• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a certain type of app? Post them here!

I am a truck driver and my wife is always asking "Where are you?". I would like something where she can look on the computer and see where I am. I have EVO 4g, is there a free site or something she can do this with? Thanks in advance.

I'm with cableguynoe. Lookout should do what you are looking for. There is another free app called Mobile Defense that does the same thing. She can log into a web site and locate your phone. If you do a Google search for free android gps tracker, you should be able to find a couple more if neither of these is to your liking.

Upvote 0
Am looking for am app that tells u if somebody in your contact list is nearby...pls help

Khaki - Google Latitude already does this, however in order for that to work, friends in your contact list would also need to be members of Latitude. I'm not aware of any other apps out there that would do this without friends in your contact list opting in to some service to track them.

Upvote 0
I am constantly having issues with my dialer. I had some success getting rid of lag after rooting, but after several ROMS, the dialer seems to have an amazing ability to return to SUCK.

Any ideas?

Try dialer one from the market.

If you like it, there's a file you can flash to make it your default dialer.
It fixed my dialer lag when I had my eris.

Reactions: xception
Upvote 0
Hi guys

I have only had my desire for 5 days now and am wondering if there is an app or some settings for volume? I find that the ringtones pre installed on the phone are alot louder than the mp3s i have on my memory card which makes me select the pre installed tones but want to use a song as a ringtone etc. Would getting a media player app help with this as well? What is the best media player app out there?

Upvote 0
This may sound weird but i think someone could make it easy...
An app for like coaching basketball, the whiteboard that coaches use in the back ground with the floor mapped out with the right markings..
just a simple app with that background and your finger can draw on it...

I think it would be pretty fun. anyone else??
I believe Note Everything has a function like that.
Note Everything - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
An app that will keep me from pocket dialing. For the life of me I cannot remember to press the end button before I stick my phone in my pocket and invariably I seem to dial someone I did not want to talk to. There must be an app that adds an extra step to dialing out to prevent this. Please?

i found this in another thread

I really like Call Confirm. It's not as sexy as Google Sky, but it's more useful. It just brings up a window asking if I'm sure if I want to call so and so. The extra window isn't annoying at all, but it prevents me from doing anymore accidental dials, which I found surprisingly easy to do on Android phones.

Upvote 0
Nope I am on xtrROM 4.6.5 which is a 2.1 rom. I download it to my SD card and try to play it but the player says that it will not play this type of media file.

hmm.. all of my music is in wma format (I'm regretting that now) and I've never had any trouble playing it using the stock player on a 2.1 ROM - and I used xtrROM for months (my favorite 2.1 ROM). I wonder if you're bumping in to some sort of copy protection? All of my music I ripped from CDs using Windows Media Player - how'd you get yours?

Upvote 0
hmm.. all of my music is in wma format (I'm regretting that now) and I've never had any trouble playing it using the stock player on a 2.1 ROM - and I used xtrROM for months (my favorite 2.1 ROM). I wonder if you're bumping in to some sort of copy protection? All of my music I ripped from CDs using Windows Media Player - how'd you get yours?

They are not music files. I get my voice mail from from my exchange server. We run OCS (Unified communications systems meaning our email, chat, and phone are all tied together) which records my voice mail then emails it to me in a small wma file. I used to be able to play them. It may not be 2.1. We just upgraded our servers to OCS 2010 and it may have changed the way it compresses the wma file. I will have to talk to MS on monday and ask them.

We run a rather large VOIP system. (1000 or so phones and 1500 chat client users, and 17000 regular non chat no phone users).

Upvote 0
necrobump!

Looking for a good document reader that can read office documents (DOC, DOCX, XLS and XLSX) and also view pdf files.

The three most popular I have found are:

Quickoffice Pro ($7.99)
Office Suite Pro ($14.99)
DocumentsToGo (14.99)

Aren't there any good, free readers out there anymore?
(not the trial versions of the apps listed above, reminder pop ups to buy the full version, no thanks)

I have no need to create or edit docs really, just want to be able to view them reliably :)

Leaning towards Quickoffice since it is half the price of the other apps.
Is anyone using it?
Any feedback appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones