looking for a DLNA adapter for older TV?

Last Updated:

1. afv123

afv123 New Member This Topic's Starter

I travel a lot, used to hard-wire my ipod touch to hotel tv to watch videos. Not many hotels have DLNA- ready TV's. Does anyone know if there's such a thing as an "adapter" that would hook up to the TV (maybe an RCA cable or hdmi) and recieve the signal from my droid 2 global?

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums!

OK - interesting question and a new one for me. Having a phone with an HDMI port gives me a leg up on having checked into a bit of this. :)

First - going from digital to RCA (composite (1-yellow)) isn't cheap - I was able to track down one or two boxes, one on Amazon that as I recall went for +200 bucks. And that was with HDMI in.

What you're asking (and very intriguing, by the way) would have that same thing adding a wifi radio, and then the DLNA software. Just for that - nope, I'm not sure we'd find one of those.

OK, how about same thing, with HDMI out saving that digital-to-analog cost? Mmmk - but we never did account for network management to get the signal from the phone to the box - and the hotel's wifi isn't really going to cut it for that (per most hotels I've been in). And to have an on-board wireless manager in addition to DLNA... I can't imagine anyone making one of those.

And if they did, I'd imagine they'd have to stick the price up to pay for engineering.

So, I looked at the new Roku boxes because I'd heard they were getting DLNA support -

Roku Player Products | Roku HD Player, Roku XD Player and Roku XDS Player

But then found that was just a bad report, per their statements -

Roku Forums • View topic - DLNA

Still, you'd think there'd be something, so looking up UPnP (the transport protocol for DLNA) gives this - and it's bupkiss, nada -

List of UPnP AV media servers and clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Defeating the whole purpose of what you want to do is the one workaround left I can think of:

A cheap laptop or netbook that hardwires to the hotel TV (The old Sony VAIO laptops, while bricks, were great for that) and can act as a private wireless with a DLNA client.

Sorry I couldn't give a better answer. Maybe somebuddy can find something I've overlooked.

Great question though!

3. mjrtom

mjrtom Member

4. EarlyMon

I haven't found anything - that's way cool - thanks. I can't find that it's available yet though...

5. mjrtom

mjrtom Member

Yea I can't find it either. It's called the htc media link dg h100, but after ten seconds of research, I only found speculated release dates and high prices.

EarlyMon likes this.
  6. EarlyMon

Well, the car dock was shown early, too. :)

7. dawankler

dawankler Well-Known Member

Really the only cheap thing out there is a low-end Blu-Ray player that does DLNA streaming, but that's not exactly portable.

It's an interesting question, but I doubt you'll see a whole lot of people jumping to offer something like this. It'd need Wi-Fi, the video out systems and be able to run a light DLNA media client. Technically it shouldn't be crazy, but the cost of development and small audience would probably keep the price too high to really make money off it. I think your best bet is to get a phone with video out (or that has a home docking station with video out).

I'm guessing you're a frequent business traveller, so I'm also guessing you travel with a laptop. You're probably better off throwing a small, light wi-fi router in your bag to network your phone and laptop together and then output your laptop to the TV.

8. streetr

streetr New Member

Netgear HDTV Media Player

WD Media Link

Asus O!Play

Sony PS3 or xBox

9. Darr247

Darr247 New Member

Does this come close to what you're thinking of
    www dot newegg dot com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815117015

Sorry - I can't post links yet... if you can't figure that out, then you probably can't figure out how to use that device, though.