Looking for a good 2.1 stock android ROM

Last Updated:

1. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone run a stock 2.1 android rom on their heros? If so please post up what they are, where you found them, and some screenshots if you got em :D

Advertisement
  2. jonathan76888

jonathan76888 Well-Known Member

i recomend the leaked RUU, check the thread here, it has been perfect for me!!!

3. lunatech

lunatech Active Member

4. verngator

verngator Well-Known Member

5. SkunkApe

SkunkApe Well-Known Member

im also looking for a good rom to use. want something with no lag hopefully, and also has everything working (sms, mms, etc)

anybody have any suggestions?

6. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

In my experience, if you want to stay w/ 1.5 go with the Fresh 1.1 ROM and use GK + SetCPU. If you want to upgrade to a 2.1 based ROM then go with Fresh 2.0d or Damage 2.07.2

Both sets should produce quality experiences for all users and the best part is that they are relatively lag free :)

7. barnacles

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, im looking for a good ROM WITHOUT the SenseUI.

8. apollomaker

apollomaker Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Has anyone tried, or what do we know about the ability to remove the SenseUI as a stand-alone application??? Has anyone removed the SenseUI in a rooted device ?? (I have not searched for any info on this specific issue).

Comments??? --- Bob :D

9. NYCHitman1

You can force close the Sense UI manually (from Applications) but personally I have never tried. I love Sense and truthfully couldn't imagine not using it.

apollomaker likes this.
  10. apollomaker

Well, if that is the case, so be it. I am with you --- I like the SenseUI and use it heavily. To each his own, I guess.

:rolleyes::D

11. NYCHitman1

I mean seriously.. have you ever used the Droid before? It's so plain and original. Granted, it's speed makes up for the other portions it's lacking in but it's boring as hell. Not to mention, you pay an arm and a leg for service. I don't know how anyone could prefer vanilla android over a HTC Sense UI based platform.

12. barnacles

I disable sense on my Hero. I like the plain android, and enjoy the simplicity of it. As you said, to each your own. Also, speed is a plus. I enjoy the white notification bar+ icons aside from the darkness of the Sense theme

None the less I am looking for a ROM running stock android still to stay on topic.. :D

Or maybe a sense rom with stock android theme including the white/gray notification bar??

13. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

You can't completely remove it but you can use HOME SWITCHER in the market and go back and fourth from vanilla to sense UI. If you use Fresh 2.0d, you get the new launcher from the nexus which is pretty cool in my opinion. I've tried all the 2.1 roms and fresh and darchlegend rom has been the best ones.

apollomaker likes this.
  14. barnacles

Maybe I'll check out the fresh ROM. Does it have the android or sense notifications? Thanks. Like I said, I am aware of disabling sense, however that doesn't necessarily disable it in its entirety.

15. NYCHitman1

I do recall seeing a lot of people creating vanilla android mods for our Hero, you can find them all over XDA.

16. urthatguy

urthatguy Member

What I found with Fresh 2.1 rom is the vanilla android camera will not work "properly". I t will take a photo but will not leave the camera app. Meaning I cant leave the camera app by pushing my return button. Thats was my experience. Also call issues too mainly not connecting when I call someone.

17. barnacles

I'm no developer, but wouldn't it be easy to extract stock android from the current ROMs? Maybe pull files from the Nexus One say, or even simply extract all the HTC stuff, like sense itself from the roms. If I can "disable" sense, couldn't it be deleted all together?

18. apollomaker

Thanks for the inputs. The good news is there are options for those who want something different.

Thanks Again --- Bob ;)

19. nyx528

nyx528 Active Member

Me too! I use dxTop for my home so I don't need sense cluttering up my phone. I was using gbhil's Gumbo 1.5c BARE and I loved the crap out of it cuz it made my phone super snappy, had all the things I wanted with none of what I didn't. Now I want the same thing except in 2.1 version.
    I tried out Fresh Toast 2.1 final and it was nice (especially the live wallpapers in dxTop) but it was S-L-O-W. Drove me nuts :(
    I know that the actual 2.1 was just released today, but the leak has been around for a while now, and I've yet to see anything like Gumbo BARE for 2.1.
    Anyone know of something? Anything? I want to love my hero again :(

20. jonwlewis

jonwlewis Well-Known Member

Fresh's 2.1.1 is a great Rom. It is very stable (in my opinion) and I have tried a few different roms.

Sent from my Sprint HTC Hero with Tapatalk.

21. nyx528

nyx528 Active Member

I tried it and it's nice, but it's not vanilla :(

22. ethereal45

ethereal45 Member

23. dsavage

dsavage Well-Known Member

In addition to the info here, you should also do a search for PureHero over on xda. I've never flashed it, but he says that it is pure vanilla, no sense whatsoever. Sounds like what you're looking for.

24. pinoy724

pinoy724 Well-Known Member

If you want a launcher other that sense ui. Try Fresh Toast 2.1, it has the launcher pro that nexus has. It's decent if you like that kind of launcher, but to me I prefer sense ui over any. I'm running 2.0d with rosie live wallpaper, menu unlock disabled, and transperent vanilla lock screen. By the way thanks to flipz and the gang at geekfor.me/