• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Looking for a good wall charger...

eddiey

Lurker
Dec 3, 2010
I am looking to buy an additional wall charger, and based on the reviews, I purchased this Motorola one from amazon (one reviewer mentioned it can deliver about 950mah)... After testing it briefly, it appears it is BAD BAD BAD....

Amazon.com: Motorola micro USB Home Travel Charger: Electronics

Based on the specs, it should have delivered 850ma. When I plugged it into the phone and into a kill-a-watt, the amps shows .04A (the resolution doesn't go beyond this), which leads me to think that it is actually 350-400mah. I also tried my nook charger with the same microUSB cable from the Motorola on the kill-a-watt and found it delivers .06A. 0.04 versus 0.06 may not seem much, but it really translates to approximately 50% more power delivery.

Does anybody know of an inexpensive charger that can put out 600+ mah to charge the phone? I noticed my nook charger was rated to output 850mah.

Thanks!

Ok, then I need one that can deliver 600+mah then... Any ideas for an inexpensive one that can do that? The Motorola one I bought was rated for 850, but only put out 350....

Its not so much what the charger is putting out as much as what the phone pulls from it. Your phone has determined that it needs 350, which is within what the charger can provide. If your phone tried to pull 900, then the charger would limit it to 850.

How low was the battery when you started charging it? The charge regulating circuitry for many batteries is designed to be smart: they draw more power when the battery is low to quickly fill it, but as it gets filled they draw less to top it off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones