Looking for a Live GPS app

Last Updated:

1. maxsteele

maxsteele Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've done a lot of searching around, but I'm coming up short with this....

I'm looking for a GPS app that does both turn-by-turn directions as well as a "Live" GPS map.

I believe "Live" GPS is the correct term. I want to see an overhead map view with my GPS location, following along as I move. I'd also like to have a little window showing my speed and possibly the time as well.

Are there any apps on the Hero that will do this?

Advertisement
  2. seymour71

seymour71 Active Member

Hi mate, I Use Copilot. It has turn by turn directions, and etsimated arrival time, but not your current speed. It might be something you can set up though, not played with it much.

hope this helps.

3. pdrhan

pdrhan Well-Known Member

I use mobileMaps9 - which does the job perfectly,turn by turn directions and it show you speed and distance and all the info known from like TomTom etc..works perfectly!

4. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

When hero gets the 2.1 upgrade we should have this by default with google maps / turn by turn directions.

5. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

All sat nav apps (as opposed to maps) should do what you want, and a lot more. As others have said either Copilot or Sygic Mobile Maps will do that. I prefer Mobile Maps, but it is personal preference. Will show your present speed and time, and, if you set a destination it will give you spoken and visual turn by turn guidance as well as estimated time of arrival, distance left to go, details of the signposts on the roads to look for and the correct lane to be in.

Oh and it also warns me of all the speed cameras.

6. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

Hi maxsteele,

I asked a similar question recently. Having used TomTom on Symbian for a long time, I need something to replace it on my Hero.

There looks to be three choices:

CoPilot - TomTom wannabe. It looks quite good, but does get very mixed reviews. If what I've read is representative, it's one of those apps your either love or hate. Not much inbetween.

Sygic MobileMaps - Another TomTom wannabe. This one doesn't seem quite as popular as CoPilot. Probably because it's more expensive. If you only need UK/Ireland, then CoPilot is half the price of this one. For the whole of Europe, then they are almost the same price and it's down to individual choice. For me, Sygic looks to be the better of the two.

Google - They have brought out a turn by turn rival to all the paid apps like TomTom and the two above. The only thing that would stop me using Google's offering is that it doesn't cache. As with Google maps, you need a constant data connection for it to work. The other products on the market have their maps stored on your device. This is a dealbreaker for me. If you're out in the sticks and there's no cell connection, you're stuffed if you need to rely on Google. Not so with the paid apps.

Hope that helps :)

7. maxsteele

maxsteele Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll take a look at those.

I might have realized I'm posting in the wrong forum however. I am in the states, not Europe. I hope these apps transfer to US mapping as well.

8. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

check out NDrive too. Not often mentioned but very good.

9. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

Thanks zukini, that's one I haven't heard of. Looks pretty good on their website too.
    It would be too expensive for me though. 90

10. Hrochnick

Hrochnick Well-Known Member

Yeah it does...

I'm in the love it camp. It does everything that my 1.5 year old dedicated Mio Sat Nav system can do and more. It's got up to date maps, it's got speed cams, it's got all the POI's you need, it's got live traffic, it's got weather updates, it's got driving/walking/cycling modes, it's got a multitude of options and display information, it's got speedy re routing and it's got a decent price. It's got me and I've got it!

11. striker26uk

striker26uk Member

I'm using sygic. its good but the interface could be better. Co pilot is just too slow. I'm surprised no-one &as mentioned IGo MyWay this seems to be the best at the moment.

12. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Sadly that's not going to happen their will be no turn by turn directions.

13. monkegeo

monkegeo Active Member

I've put a leaked 2.1 ROM on mine and it's got turn-by-turn directions

14. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

I'm surprised as well since I am using iGo Myway with European maps. I use Copilot too.. always like to have the option :)