• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a "network operator management" app

willardthor

Lurker
Mar 25, 2012
Hi,

(TL;DR: skip to the itemized list.)

The options for 'data roaming' ("disabled", "national", "enabled") are insufficient for my needs. I live in Sweden, and my network operator ('3') exists in Denmark as well, a country which I visit regularly. When on the Danish '3' network, my fees are the same as when I am on the Swedish '3' network, for both 'phone calls' and 'packet data' on the Danish '3' network (one of the reason I chose 3). But the Danish '3' network is not a Swedish-national network, so for 'packet data' to work, I must switch 'data roaming' to "enabled". Before I do this, I make sure to switch to the Danish '3' 'network operator'. However, I still get restless; I worry that my phone will switch to a different 'network operator' (which happens to have better connectivity) without me noticing / without disabling 'packet data' before doing so, broking me with its 20kr/MB data transfer fees. What I would like here is to enable 'packet data' only on certain networks.

Further, I am on a ferry now, which has a GSM antenna onboard hooked up to a satellite. The murderous rates are as follows. Call out: 20kr/min, Call in: 40kr/min, Send SMS: 3kr, All data: 120kr/MB. I would prefer for my phone to be out of reach than ever to be hit with these rates. Besides, the loss of network between Denmark and Sweden is less than 1 hour anyways, but since the signal strength from the on-board antenna is stronger than the on-land antennas for quite a bit longer than that, the phone has a tendency to want to stay longer on the on-board network.

I also remember walking the Alps between Germany and Austria, and watching my phone bounce between the two nations' networks, and being spammed "Welcome to Germany!" / "Welcome to Austria!" by SMS. I can imagine this is very annoying for, say, a German who just wanted to hike the Alps. He would only want to leave his national networks if his signal strength became truly appalling. Maybe signal strength could be a factor here as well.

When in the US last year, all data transfer rates were at 120kr/MB. I would prefer not to have my phone ever do a "sync" when on such a network. Unless I have some special data plan negotiated with a network in the US.

So, I am looking for some way to properly manage
  • which networks my phone will (never) connect to, and
  • on which networks my phone will activate 'packet data'.
For instance, I might have three tiers, in order of priority:
  • cake: all Swedish networks, and the Danish '3' network. Enable 'packet data' here.
  • vegetable: all nations which do not have ridiculous fees for people from Sweden. Disable 'packet data' here.
  • random mushroom: any other network which is not in the next list of networks. Disable 'packet data' here. Display a warning as soon as the phone enters this network, so I know that I should exercise caution using my phone (possibly express this by changing the phone's color theme or something equally neat?)
  • plague: the ship's on-board antenna. Never connect to these.

Being able to specify priorities, rules/conditions, etc. would be nice.

I am running 2.3.5 (Gingerbread). My phone is not rooted.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/pointers.

P.S.: I am looking for an app, assuming that my phone cannot do what I am asking for. If the phone can already do this, then I would appreciate a pointer to which

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones