• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Looking for a ROM suggestion

Hey guys and gals,

New to the root community (thanks to andrizoid and eu) and I installed Eris Official from Evan, but feel like I am looking for something more.

I want a FAST rom, as I find Evans just as sluggish as 2.1. The overlocking @ 710 helps, but I need more speed if possible.

My non negotiable is I need Google Maps to work. Maybe I misread, but some ROMs have trouble with GPS.

Aside from that, I enjoy Sense, but its not necessary. I have been fooling with Launcher Pro and ADW for a smoother looking interface. Functionality is still key for me though.

Hope this helps??

xtrSense 4.0.6.1 will look very nearly identical to your stock phone, and everything works.

Buttery smooth, right out of the box. (Default OC is 710, iirc).

Zach.xtr mentioned the other day that he altered the default process harvester settings in xtrSense 4.0.6.1 to be similar to the settings that Autokiller uses in "Strict" mode.

In addition to OC'ing, that's why it is as fast as it is - the Android process harvester has been tuned to always maintain lots of free memory for file caching operations. That will mean that from time to time you will see the launcher re-painting the home screen - that's the price you will pay for all that snappiness.

As far as Froyo ROMs go, Kaos and Tazz current ROMs are essentially flawless in comparison to any functionality you would find in a stock 2.1 ROM - perhaps with the exception of the camera (I find the replacement camera app to be worse in features and autofocus capability).

eu1

Upvote 0
Whatever rom you pick, trying installing the Autokiller app. Makes a huge difference on any rooted phone, especially one running a very close to stock rom.

Hey guys and gals,

New to the root community (thanks to andrizoid and eu) and I installed Eris Official from Evan, but feel like I am looking for something more.

I want a FAST rom, as I find Evans just as sluggish as 2.1. The overlocking @ 710 helps, but I need more speed if possible.

My non negotiable is I need Google Maps to work. Maybe I misread, but some ROMs have trouble with GPS.

Aside from that, I enjoy Sense, but its not necessary. I have been fooling with Launcher Pro and ADW for a smoother looking interface. Functionality is still key for me though.

Hope this helps??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones