Looking for a Samsung Galaxy to buy......General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. Daw7423

Daw7423 New Member This Topic's Starter

ok first off i want to say i Really want this phone. and I am willing to do anything short of flying to Germany to get one.

So I have a friend moving to Switzerland for a year or so and he his going to be exploring Europe during this time. he has offered to buy me the phone but first i need to know whether it will work on my network or not and if i will have to have him buy an unlocked one or not. I heard that the phone uses sim cards but i am not sure if that is from a good source can anyone confirm?

i have a cingular/att plan and am currently using an origional iphone that i despise :(
    my parents are willing and happy to change up my plan a bit but only within our commitment contract to cingular/att
    I live in a city a couple of hours away from Los Angeles in California USA if that matters at all

i would perffer to buy it online if someone knows of a reputable site so i do not have to burden my friend with the task but it looks like there are not many with the galaxy out there at the moment.

oh ya and i NEED to buy it without a plan or contract because i have the cingular/att plan/contract already.

Advertisement
  2. Daw7423

I just wanted to add one quick thing that probably has NO affect on anything but my PC(desktop) runs windows ultimate 64 bit (I plan on switching to windows 7 when it comes out) i dont see any reason that the interaction with the computer and the phone would not work but figured i would put this down just in case.

oh one other thing i would like to ask is if there is a media sorter/filing system(aka itunes, windows media center ect.) that is required or recommended for putting movies music and applications on the Samsung Galaxy(Samsung i7500) or for andriod in general.

Thank you all for you time and in advance for you responses.

3. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

try sotel.de or misco.de. It'll probably come to just under 500 euro's to the US (best guess).

It cost me 485 euro's shipped to the uk. It took 2 days.

I don't think locked Galaxy's exist right now. Even the O2 branded ones dont actually have any branding.

4. FLT

FLT Well-Known Member

Idd there are no locked Galaxy's ;)

I'm wondering if you can buy several Galaxy's? Because when I went to Germany for mine they scanned my ID card (was in official O2 shop)?

5. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

They do that to stop people buying them up in lots and reselling them. You can probably buy 2, maybe 3 but no more.

6. Vap1d-

Vap1d- Well-Known Member

@Daw7423

If you have a bit of patience I'd suggest waiting a week or two. The phone was just released in Taiwan on Monday and I'd bet that is where the big online retailers in the US will be getting stock from. Plemix.com - Cell Phone, Digital Camera, PDA, MP3, and more consumer electronics with Worldwide shipping. has had it 'Coming Soon' for a while time now.

I lucked out (as long as it makes it through customs anyway lol) with an ebay auction in Germany (I've only seen a few)

As far as use with AT&T- GSM (voice) and Edge (2.5g data) will work. The only network in the US that 3G will work with this device is T-Mobile.

7. Russ Dill

Russ Dill Well-Known Member

I ordered mine recently from telecomversand.de (aka ES Mobilfunk). Phone was 351,26 EUR, shipping 35 EUR, money wire 22 USD, loss due to exchange spread about 11 USD. Came in at a total of 577.25 USD.

The ratings seem pretty good:
    telecomversand.de - ES Mobilfunk GbR - Bewertungen

I would order from sotel.de, but they are currently out of unbranded phones.

We'll see if I get a shipping number when the wire goes through (DHL to US).
    After that, my main concern is with the reboot issues discussed in another thread as well as whether or not to go with the new firmware

8. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

The branded ones are actually identical, bar a red sticker on the side of the box that says in german Internet Pack M recomended.

The software is identical, the box is identical, the manuals are identical and the hardware is identical. Wierd but true!

9. Daw7423

Thank you for all the posts so far but there are still a few things that i would like to know.

1. Does it use sim cards ? (required for cingular)

2. Do i need a specific media organizer/loader(aka itunes windows media center ect.)

a new question came up while looking at the sites you guys listed.

3. what do all the terms that i keep seeing on the sites mean

a. with or without simlock (i assume it means unlocked for other componys but want to confirm)

b. with or without Branding

4. can the galaxy/i7500 really not utilize at&t 3g network? i found this on at&t site
    "The AT&T 3G network uses HSDPA/UMTS technology (High Speed Downlink Packet Access/Universal Mobile Telephone System), which makes it possible to enjoy a variety of......"

i also found this on sotel.de ---thanks to Kam187
    exclusively with CO2 to at the end of of July
    - GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA

I found the bolded text above under specs on the samsung i7500 Galaxy CO2 - without simlock
    im not sure what CO2 is but it looks like it can use at&ts 3g network
    anyone want to clarify? im starting to get a little lost

10. Russ Dill

I don't know if you are quite at the level of expertise to import your own phone. I would recommend you hold off until one of the domestic carriers pick it up. I think I know the answer to your questions, but if it were mere on At&t I would be doing some searching beyond just my own knowledge.

The i7500 is a GSM phone, so it takes SIM cards. I'm on the linux side of things, so I can't help you with windows media stuff, but its an android phone, so I'm sure there is a solution.

simlocking means that only simcards from one network function.

Branding can mean a variety of things, from markings on the box, to preloaded applications, custom firmware, or a silkscreened logo printed on the phone.

(BTW, ohne is german for without)

Different networks have different frequency sets for each technology (UTMS, GPRS, etc). Also, some frequencies are setup to be the only frequency to be used for a specific function of the technology, or there may be a list of frequencies that can be used. From what I understand, T-Mobile has one special frequency it uses for upstream 3G.

11. Vap1d-

Vap1d- Well-Known Member

AT&T uses mainly 1900 and in some newer markets 850 for 3G service.

This device supports 900/1700/2100 bands for 3G.

The only band of those three even in use in the US is 1700 which is only used by T-Mobile at this point.

This phone will work just fine for voice and slow data on AT&T but does not have the necessary bands for 3G.

Worldwide there are different bands in use in different places / by different carriers, even though a device and a network both say they are HSDPA/UMTS it doesn't mean they use compatible frequencies that can talk to each other.

Sorry for the bad news, but hope this helps you understand why a bit better.

12. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

The radio in the Galaxy can support other 3G frequencies and so there is most definatly going to be a US version at some point.

If I were you I would wait for the US version, because its alot more fun if you 3G data. Having said that, do you know if you're town/city has 3g coverage?

13. Daw7423

i Understand almost all of the things we have been talking about i just want to CONFIRM my knowledge and assumptions so i don't waste 600$ buying something that doesn't work for me.

yes there is 3g service in my area

when is the estimated time that it will be in the US? i would much prefer to not have to have it flown in but i was unaware it was anywere near coming to the US and when it does come wont the 3g still be unavailable to me or would they change the bands for the US?

14. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

There's no ETA for it to come to the states. But i'm just saying the radio hardware will suport the other 3g frequency bands - it would just need a new internal antenna and radio ROM. That's why its pretty likely they will make a US version.

Its possible some company in the US will also import the european version.

A US version of the Hero might be alot closer:

HTC Hero: FCC approved with AT&T 3G bands

15. Russ Dill

The wire has gone through and their website lists my order status as shipped. Don't have a tracking number yet.

16. mdawood

mdawood New Member

17. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

I think he already bought the phone or another one (Galaxy S perhaps). So I see no reason to post here anymore, off-course it can change if someone other wish to buy this phone (I honestly don't think so, they're newer and better models out now, Galaxy S is just a example). :p

18. tisti

tisti Well-Known Member

Thread resurrection. Please lock?

Edit:
    Also, smart bot trick. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.