• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for advice on a Andriod App to assist in gaming

360kevhong

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
Hi,

I'm working for a company that is currently trying to develop a free app that would assist in android gaming (i.e. somewhat like steam for PC).

Currently we hope to create an app with these functions:

1. Ability to block/remove in-game Ads
2. A game recommendation service allowing people to recommend games to others (i.e. their friends or to a general forum) to make it easier to navigate through the clutter of the android market
3. Allow a majority of games to be played through the app (no need to download games and then delete them)
4. A social media aspect that would allow connection to a game discussion (on strategy) forum
5. Game recorder

Would you use such an app; which of the purposed features is most appealing to you?

What problems do you face while android gaming?

How could an app make android gaming more comfortable for you?

I'm not much of a gamer, so I doubt I would have any useful input on your questions. I would point out that there are already apps that purport to block in-app ads. The problem I see with that is that developers rely on revenue from the ads to support their efforts. If you remove the incentives, then the developers may not want to continue which hurts the whole Android using community.

Just my $.02. :)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I agree with Luna that even though ads can be annoying it does help give developers incentive to continue developing. But as for what looks promising in your plans is the features to be able to play games without downloading and the game recording would be nice as well. Good luck with your app if you decide to go with it! :3

Upvote 0
Steam for iOS does not yet offer the ability to "stream" games so I'm not sure if that is technically possible. Also there is problem of licensing fees. Somehow the developers have to receive revenue (excluding the hobbyist developers). So if somebody is able to use your company's app to evade Google Play and block in game ad revenue, how are the developers going to be compensated?

Seems to me somebody at your company has not done their homework about how apps are delivered to the android platforms. Seems a little shady to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones