1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for an app that will quiet my email automatically

Last Updated:

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know of an app that will quiet ONLY my email notifications at night automatically? I still want to get phone calls and SMS messages and for my alarms to ring. I just want my emails to be silent until morning. I can't find anything like this.

One that comes with a widget would be even better. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

tasker would probably do it, maybe locale also.

3. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

I agree, Tasker was my first thought. It is a paid app, although if you get it from their site you can get a 7 day trial. I haven't tried Locale, so not sure how alike/different they are, but wouldn't be a horrible idea to check out both and see which you like better.

4. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looking for an app that will allow me to quiet my email notifications while I sleep, but ONLY my email notifications. I still want calls/sms/alarms to ring....

Really don't want to pay $10 for locale, and a widget would be great as well....

5. timbstoke

timbstoke New Member

can't think of an app, but have you considered just turning off data when you go to sleep? you can do that with the built in power control widget, and it should achieve what you want.

6. timbstoke

timbstoke New Member

If you don't want to pay, why not just turn off data at night? you can do that with the standard power widget, and it should have the effect you're looking for.

7. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Maybe "Gmail Notifier"

8. WarBird87

WarBird87 Well-Known Member

you cant just set the email notifications to vibrate through the settings in the phone? thats what i do, i even have the vibrating off so it just shows up in my status bar when i have an email

9. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Tasker doesn't have a native ability to change notification settings for an individual app, but I just posted in the Tasker group at Google Groups a way to do it using Tasker. It seems quite messy at first, but in the end it's a fairly simple concept. In addition to what I posted you would need a "silent" ringtone sound file.

10. cron912

cron912 Well-Known Member

Try Profile (by noimjosh). I use this to automatically switch settings based on time. I haven't tried it myself, but it does have options to set SMS/MMS volumes separately from other notifications.

Edit:
    I changed one of my profiles so the SMS volume was separate from normal notifications, and it worked. In all, Profile can control the following:

- Ringer volume
    - Ringtone
    - SMS/MMS (each can be tied to Notification volume, Ringer volume, or their own SMS/MMS volume)
    - Notification volume
    - Notification ringtone
    - Music volume
    - Alarm volume
    - In call volume
    - Screen brightness
    - Screen Auto-off timeout
    - Turn WiFi On/Off (or unchanged)
    - Turn Bluetooth On/Off (or unchanged)
    - Turn Airplane Mode On/Off (or unchanged)

You can create as many different profiles as you want, and pick which of the above settings you want to control. It can also be made accessible for the notification bar for quick switching, and it can also be set to automatically change to a profile at a set time.

It also comes with 3 different widgets. One which can be tied to a specific profile you've created, one called Current that pulls up the current settings where you could temporarily change a single setting, and one which will pull up a list of all profiles.

11. FishDoctor

FishDoctor Well-Known Member

12. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Automatic (as set by time) AND free? Timeriffic is what you want.

Automatic (to do ANYTHING at ANY time and ANY place and ANY insert variable) go with Tasker.

Automatic (but cannot do ANYTHING under ANY variable, and costs WAY more) go with Locale.

I have used all three. Timeriffic for about a month. It is a great app, but I when I learned about changing settings based on Location I switched to Locale. I coughed up $10 for the app and another $8 or so in plugins.

Then 7-8 months later I came across tasker. It is the best out there, hands down. It spanks Locale... there are not words to describe how inferior Locale is compared to Tasker (well there are, but I would get in trouble). But it's not free (but MUCH cheaper than Locale), and it is more complicated.

ANYWAYS, sorry for the rant.
    To change your sounds, based on the time of day, and without spending any cash,
    go with Timeriffic

13. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

I know gmail has settings for ringtone... just change it to silent while you sleep..

14. kiwi_harry

kiwi_harry Member

I use Profile Manager by Cube Innovations, to do just exactly the same as what you've requested.

I have the profile set-up so as that at 10pm all my email notifications are silenced and all my ringers and text notifications are at about 40% volume. Then have another profile set-up so as that at 7am everything goes back to 100% volume

15. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member