Looking for an App to send and recieve calls using my old Boost mobile number

1. TimmboBaggins

TimmboBaggins New Member

Hi, I am looking for an App to send and receive calls. I have a Boost phone that uses the direct connect Nextel system that Boost says they will be shutting off in June 2013. I would still like to use the phone number associated with this account as I have many people contacting me using the phone number. Many of these people aren't 'Tech.' savy and would just be trying to call this number from a regular phone without an App or computer. I am looking for an App that I could use on my HTC Evo 3d on the Sprint service. It would be great if I could use this app to send and receive calls via my Sprint data but since my area is often 3G only may not be an option. I imagine that Sprint may have roadblocks to keep this type of operation from taking place over the 'unlimited' data network. I would be satisfied if I could keep my old Boost phone number and be able to make and get calls if WIFI was available and possibly get a notification over the Sprint data connection that either someone was calling or I missed a call. This App/service doesn't have to be free as I would be saving from not having a Boost bill and judging from my limited use of Apps it's more convenient to pay for it and not have ads.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Use Google Voice and port your old Boost number to that. For VOIP (Wifi) calling use Google Voice + GrooveIP.
  3. TimmboBaggins

TimmboBaggins New Member

Thanks for suggesting Google Talk Crashdamage. Looking at the Google Talk page, I can't verify if this app will let others call from regular land line phones or from someone that doesn't have the Google Talk program.
  4. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

5. TimmboBaggins

TimmboBaggins New Member

I have the google voice and Groove Ip apps. The FAQ on how to actually port my number from Boost is not very helpful though.
  6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

First off you can port your number using Google Voice, it will cost you $ 20 bucks i believe? don't quote me on that.

Also i am moving this thread to the Android Applications forum.