Looking for Down Syndrome Friendly Apps

1. Moosevan

Moosevan New Member

Hi all, I'm in the process of evaluating hardware / software for my youngest son who has Down Syndrome - essentially to support his learning as school stuff is not always easy to access.

I figured joining this forum would help me to understand more about android & apps before I make a final decision (haven't bothered looking at the A**le forums!!!) as to what to buy.

Need to decide what to go for in respect of him being able to handle colour ebooks & apps similar to Apple's "Proloquo2go" / "Assistive Chat" / "Sensespeak". - all are potentially very good...

If anyone can suggest suitable communication / speech/text / learning apps, I'd be very grateful.

I really don't want to go to the 'fruit-side' to purchase hardware as lack of flash limits massively what he'd be able to access online.

Looking forward to your advice.

Kind regards.

Moosevan

Advertisement
  2. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

A very interesting and innovative idea, Moosevan. I hope others can offer suggestions - this could be a valuable topic for other parents in the future.
  4. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

Will the phone be subjected to rough treatment?
  5. Clevo89

Clevo89 Well-Known Member

My wifes neice has downs syndrome and she has an android phone. I'll ask her what she likes. From my experience dealing with her she loves to text messages, watch youtube & take pictures. Occassionally she plays games. but they are all stock apps and nothing special about them. She learns how to use them pretty quick is my understanding.

An interesting topic....
    Slug likes this.
  6. Moosevan

Moosevan New Member

Many thanks, all, for your suggestions & comments so far.

It will be interesting to see how much response this thread gets as I will then be able to pass info on to support groups etc to share info.

I'll probably go with some kind of touchpad device rather than a phone as David has already 'mullered' two of my phones while he's been "using" them. He can be SO helpful at times!! ;-)

Cheers,

Moosevan
  7. LorAz

LorAz New Member

Our six-year-old has Down Syndrome and has tried apps on the first gen iPhone (no phone service so more like iTouch) and an iPad. The iPhone is a little too small for his fingers to manipulate successfully so he would get unintended wrong answers on some alphabet/number activities. iPad too expensive to trust with him. We're going to try a Kindle Fire as it is much cheaper than iPad yet bigger than a smartphone. Some apps he really likes are the iTouchLearn apps (numbers, words, life skills) which are also available as Android apps. He also really likes starfall.com, a great interactive website with early primary activities for kids.
    Slug likes this.