1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Looking for free music? Here are your legal options

1. Satires

Satires Well-Known Member

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I'll take a look -- not sure how legal this is but seems like it should be OK :)

Update: added
  3. Bloobs

Bloobs Member

look around, there's plenty to see here...
  4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

Mabilo is no more. Not sure why as it was awesome but its gone :(

I make all mine with Audacity. works wonderfully

I had issues with Ringdroid. Some of my ringtones would not get a good sound to them. I assumed it was because Its using the phones limited resources and the phone was incapable of the better sound (EVO 4G) but others said they have great success with this. I just use Audacity and upload them to the phone. I find that easiest for me. Besides the computer has a lot more resources than my phone :D
    alostpacket likes this.
  5. alostpacket

note to self: add etree.org
  6. PC Bigboy

PC Bigboy Well-Known Member

alostpacket likes this.
  7. alostpacket

8. PianoTechRPT

PianoTechRPT Member

You spent a lot of time putting this list together. I hope Forum members will take note ( so to speak) and use these resources, thus staying out of trouble.

PianoTechRPT
  9. @ alostpacket- amazing!!! thank you so much. am now maximizing my downloading capablities, haha
  10. awriternot

awriternot Well-Known Member

Don't forget Songza! You can even look up playlists depending on what mood you are in! Loves it!
  11. Satires

You could try radio tracker, you can record over a dozen internet stations at once. The you can get mp3directcut (Which is legally free) to add fade in/fade out points. Or you can cut tracks out of an extra long recording and so on. I've discoverd a lot of music this way. :)
  12. Satires

Or you can try polderbits. It records off of your sound card as .wav format and can be saved in high quality mp3 format. Just disable ALL sounds on your computer! Imagine, anything you can listen to in high quality, you can capture it. There's nothing wrong with RECORDING for personal use.

You take it from there! Lol
  13. Satires

Oops, I already responded.... lol
  14. scaramouch

scaramouch Member

thanks
  15. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

i use an app ever since Android Eclair 2.1, and it's no longer in the Play Store, but the APK can still be found online on many sites. it's ad-supported in-app and has a small footprint on internal memory
  16. alostpacket

As far as I know this is not a legal way to get music, it is also (IMHO) dangerous. Thos types of apps are know for invasive advertising and possible malware. They are removed from the Play store for very good reason.
    jerofld likes this.
  17. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

I have never had any trouble with it. And there are dozens just like it on the play store. Free music download and mp3 music download pro are two examples. And the ads are no more invasive than the Go Launcher ads...they're banners and only exist on the app itself.
  18. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

It may be hard to detect, or the malware may not affect your device. Some malware is specific to working with certain root exploits that are patched on many phones. Or the author pulled the app from the market for some reason.

Either way, the app was removed from the Play Store and the OP is wishing to discuss music apps that do not include apps that download from an unknown source. That issue is just compounded by the fact that a user has to search and sideload the APK.
    alostpacket and EarlyMon like this.
  19. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

They tend to violate copyright laws for media piracy.

Google regularly removes these sorts of apps for that reason.
    alostpacket likes this.
  20. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member Contributor

7digital United Kingdom | High quality DRM-free MP3 music downloads(UK) have free MP3s regularly, usually samples of new artists.

for creating ringtones from your own music, Audacity is hard to beat.
    But you'll need the LAME encoder plugin to export in MP3 format.

There is also a huge range of effects and sound processing plugins available, A selection of which are included in the Audacity download.
  21. Nexus5

Nexus5 Active Member

For the 4th time typing this out:
    Great list.

I've gone through a bunch of it looking for HTML5 compatible streaming audio/radio, and so far GrooveShark's the only option for devices that cannot register in the PlayStore.

Everything else is expecting a PlayStore install process or a Flash compatible browser.

If anyone finds more options for streaming playback for HTML5 or non-registered Android devices, please reply or send me a PM.

Thanks!
  22. viv1610

viv1610 Member

I also suggest checking out Emusic.com. They have free tracks to download and a subscription service as well. They also have an app in the Play store. I'm a long time subscriber but just saw that they have the app..Off to download it to my phone and check out what can be done with it.

Cheers!! :);)
  23. Nexus5

Nexus5 Active Member

I'm always leery of 'Signup for free' offers. 80% of the time I am just ruining a perfectly good fake email account on those..

I tried to stream some songs but the status bar kept saying 'purchase'.

So it may be a good suggestion as a general music app/site, but I'm still searching my brains out for an alternative to Groove Shark (they are involved in some massive legal fuss that doesn't bode well for their future) for streaming audio without app support.

I suppose if someone on the forums with some rep was to point out a known-good APK, I could try that route as well, but I want to be the one rooting my droid, not some teenager in China. ;)
  24. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Google Music China is no longer operating. Google pulled the plug on it late last year. Probably because it couldn't compete with Baidu Music. Might be worth updating the OP, or I will do it?