• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for Home Screen Note-Taking Widget

Stang70Fastback

Jul 31, 2010
Does anyone know of a widget that allows you to write (with the S-Pen) directly on the home screen? I'd love to be able to whip the pen out, swipe my home screen right or left, and then just be able to write stuff without first having to open an app.

If I knew what I was doing, I'd write a transparent widget that made it look as though you were scribbling directly on one of your home screens (on the wallpaper.)

EDIT: I settled with Google Keep. It's not perfect, but it's pretty quick and light-weight.

dy3egare.jpg
When you take out the pen it gives you the air command menu wheel. Hover over the different options and choose screen write. That will take a screenshot that you can write on and then save.
zyjy3epe.jpg

Upvote 0
I am aware of that feature. However, I was looking for something that made it a bit easier to constantly tweak a list throughout the day... like closer to the equivalent of having a piece of scrap paper laying on your desk. The Action Note is great for making a quick memo of something, but you have to go into the app and open the note before you can modify it. I wanted to be able to turn my phone on, flip over one screen and just start writing or erasing stuff.

The Google Keep widget does this a bit more quickly, so I'm liking it so far, even though I wish it allowed me to use the pen.

Upvote 0
I am aware of that feature. However, I was looking for something that made it a bit easier to constantly tweak a list throughout the day... like closer to the equivalent of having a piece of scrap paper laying on your desk. The Action Note is great for making a quick memo of something, but you have to go into the app and open the note before you can modify it. I wanted to be able to turn my phone on, flip over one screen and just start writing or erasing stuff.

The Google Keep widget does this a bit more quickly, so I'm liking it so far, even though I wish it allowed me to use the pen.

Gotcha. I'll have to try that one.

Upvote 0
You can "post it note" the action memo. Open the action memo, write whatever you want, then click the square with the smaller black square inside, it attachs to your screen. When you want to edit or read it, just click on it.

I used to have an app like you are talking about for htc evo4g. Never was able to find it again.

Upvote 0
You can "post it note" the action memo. Open the action memo, write whatever you want, then click the square with the smaller black square inside, it attachs to your screen. When you want to edit or read it, just click on it.

I used to have an app like you are talking about for htc evo4g. Never was able to find it again.

But then the post it goes away when you do another activity...it would be nice if it stayed until you deleted it from home screen...find us something that works like action memo yet keeps the note on home screen until deleted and you have a winner.
I don't know why they would not make this an option... lets go developers I think it's worth a buck, I'd pay.

Reactions: Stang70Fastback
Upvote 0
I would definitely pay. Like I was saying, my ideal solution would be a very simple home screen widget. Adjustable background color and transparency, and can be resized to whatever you want with maybe a light border to define the edges. Then you can just write on it with the s-pen whenever you want by just flipping to it. In other words, almost as if it were possible to doodle directly ON your home screen.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this one will accomplish what you've mentioned, but thought the concept seemed close:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mattm.whiteboardpro

Only thing I can't figure out is if you can set a blank widget to one of the homescreens and be able to write/edit directly on that widget. If it does, then I'd consider purchasing.

Reactions: lterry913
Upvote 0
I just tried the free version...it lets you make a transparent widget so I can keep one open on a blank or designated spot on any page...not bad. I have not tried paid version. Paid version says you can write so it might work with pen, but I will try free for a while first. Thanks for suggestion.

Sweet. I might just try the paid version. What you mentioned in this thread is something i never really thought about, but it'd up my ally when it comes to multi tasking, in conjunction with functionality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones