Looking for info on rooting

Last Updated:

1. LinkA8A0A

LinkA8A0A Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I read a lot of the faqs, and to be honest, im still lost. I actually dont know where to begin, really. So I have a stock droid with the 1st OTA 2.2 update, NOT the second. I was looking at the different ROMS and think I like the liquid froyo 1.6, looks like it got the best reviews.

So, what do I need to download from the market, that is necessary for the complete root start to finish?

Again, very new at this so the more basic the language, the better.

Advertisement
  2. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

3. muab

muab Well-Known Member

Link I will add my 2 cents here from my own recent experience to perhaps help you out a bit.

1. Definitely read the sticky/guide and read some of the posts people have with their problems so you know what people do wrong and what it takes to get it right.

2. Start with a fully charged Droid.

3. For ease I prefer the one-click rooting tools like Universal Androot (which I used) but many of the old pro guys here will dissuade you from it because it enables people to root their phone without investing any time in educating themselves, then they are on this forum posting "Help me" type posts all in caps and driving everyone crazy. But I would do both: read everything, then use one-click.

4. "rooting" itself is no big deal at all...flashing ROM's and such IS kind of a big deal. So you will want to back up everything before you do much. This is really pretty easy.

5. After achieving root using Androot or whatever get these tools: Titanium Backup, ROM Manager, MyBackup Pro, from the market and backup everything on your phone (contacts, Apps, data).

6. Follow the steps for "flashing" Clockwork Recovery and then making a nandroid backup (which you will do in Clockwork recovery...which is a like a "bios" type program that you will boot into)

7. Follow the directions for flashing a ROM, then all your stuff will start to restore to your phone (market will do some of it automatically).

Does this help at all? If there is something specific I can offer to help you along let me know. I got a lot of help on here when I went through the same process.

Cheers