Looking for Keyboards to use. Any suggestions?

1. LookAtThisMess

LookAtThisMess New Member

I need a keyboard that has adjustable key heights. I have giant sausage fingers and without that option I often hit multiple keys at once, or it registers the wrong keypress all together. I also a need a keyboard that is low on visual effects/resources. (One of the reasons I don't use Swift Key) My phone is generally a POS. A ZTE Merit running Android 2.3.5. This thing is everything but a powerhouse. I am currently using Smart Keyboard. Which really, in its entirety is amazing. Has most of what I want. However it lacks the option to save words I have typed. It always corrects slang and I can't save any of the ones I use frequently. So I often end up sending "Hey brown" instead of "Hey, bro" making me look like a giant racist. Also, there have been a few keyboards I have used that for whatever reason decide to stop autocorrecting my words. Kii Keyboard (Which was my favorite, and still is but it constantly stops autocorrecting after a short time) is my ideal keyboard. But as stated before I had a few issues with it.

To make this simple I need a keyboard with the following features:

- Adjustable Key heights
    - Low recourse/visual effects (or at least toggleable)
    - Consistant autocorrect
    - Save-able words.

If anyone knows of any keyboards that remotely fit this description. Please comment. It would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Swype or Perfect Keyboard.
  3. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

I recommend you look at the two most popular keyboards - SwiftKey and Swype. Why? Because they both have free, full-function, 30-day trials in the Play Store. Unlike some keyboards I could mention.
  4. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I prefer Hacker's Keyboard. Highly customizable.
  5. basiladdyson

basiladdyson Member

Try either SwiftKey and Swype.
  6. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

The OP did already give a reason they don't use SwiftKey.

As I remember AI Keyboard has height-adjustable keys.
    funkylogik likes this.
  7. glassmancheck

glassmancheck Well-Known Member

SlideIT has most of the features you are looking for.
    - Adjustable Key heights = Yes. It can be resized easily. One reason I like it.
    - Low recourse/visual effects (or at least toggleable) = 6.9mb, seems to work well on my 2.3.5 unit
    - Consistant autocorrect = Yes
    - Save-able words. = Yes
  8. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

My bad. Thanks for pointing it out.

Swype I THINK is less resource intensive. And less expensive if he likes it after the trial
    funkylogik likes this.
  9. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I used Thumb Keyboard for a while. It has some of the best options for layout and key sizes.
    funkylogik likes this.
  10. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Isnt there one called "big thumbs" or something? Or maybe the one Stuntman recommended is its new name :thumbup:
  11. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I've never heard of Big Thumbs. Thumb keyboard can be found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beansoft.keyboardplus&hl=en-GB

If you are looking for a keyboard where you are highly unlikely to press the wrong key by accident (assuming you are proficient in it) try MessagEase. Note that this is a radically different keyboard. The layout is not QWERTY and typing requires either a tap or slide gesture depending on the character you want to type. I personally found the learning curve too high to become proficient in it considering I can type at a fair pace on traditional QWERTY layouts. I found that the time I was using it, I was highly unlikely to type the wrong character accidentally. If you are interested in giving it a try, here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exideas.mekb&hl=en-GB
    funkylogik likes this.
  12. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member