Looking for no-frills ROM.. just want to get wifi tethering

Last Updated:

1. bl80

bl80 Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

There really aren't any no-frills roms, but Bugless Beast is very stable and popular.

3. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

The ROM isn't what enables wifi tethering. The kernel adds this support. You just need the super user app to allow access to root.

4. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew Well-Known Member

Rooted 2.1 from the rom manager. About as no frill as you can get.

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I thought that flashing the 2.1 rooted SBF gives you a no-frills ROM that's rooted. But I'd personally download ROM Manager and use their rooted 2.1 image anyway. That gets you the guarantee that you get what you want AND you get ClockworkMod Recovery instead of an outdated recovery like SPR.

To get wifi-tether to work, all you have to do is install a custom kernel. Go into ROM Manager, go to Download ROM, go to the CyanogenMod section, and there are two choices for kernels here; bekit's and P3droid's kernels. Pick one of them. Personally I find that P3Droid's work much better for me than bekit's do, but everyone's phone is different. These kernels will allow you to use android-wifi-tether and also SetCPU to overclock if you want.

6. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Don't flash the bekit kernel if you're not using CyanogenMod.

He does not use Koush's any-updater format, so his .zips only work with CM.

So far, I believe only P3Droid, ChevyNo1, and Jake use the any-updater format.

7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Oh, my bad. My advice would have been for P3Droid's kernel either way, but it's nice to actually know what that AnyUpdater title under P3Droid's kernel in ROM Manager means. :)

8. bluemsw

bluemsw Well-Known Member

i have downloaded ROM Manager and paid for the pro or premium but i am still not allowed to do any downloading. Can anyone help.

9. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

Dunno if there are still download links up of it since he put out BB 1.0 but I've been using Pete's stock ESE81 since the day he put it out and its been great on my Droid, wireless tether and all.

10. CalledFollower

CalledFollower Well-Known Member

To download a kernel from ROM Manager, you need to go into the settings and enable "Advanced Mode" This will then allow you do download the different kernels.

11. jyarbrough20

jyarbrough20 Well-Known Member

Do you have superuser permissions? Just flashing that. Sbf file does not give you root

12. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

All you need is wifi tethering? then you dont even need a ROM, just finish rooting your phone, make sure you have the lil ninja application (Superuser Permissions, this proves your done rooting) then go to these links I provide

(make sure Unknown Sources is checked. *Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources*
    1. Wired Tether for Root Users = wired_tether_1_2.apk - android-wired-tether - Wired Tether for Root Users - 1.2 - Project Hosting on Google Code
    2. Wifi Tether for Root Users = wireless_tether_2_0_1.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.1 - Project Hosting on Google Code

or my personal favorite

3. Go to the Market and download 'Barnacle Wifi Tether' or search Barnacle if it doesnt come up.

Hope this helps =]

13. AzJazz

AzJazz Well-Known Member

FYI - If you want to go over a VPN connection, you will need to use one of the "Root" tethering apps (such as wired_tether_1_2.apk).

The other "higher-level" tethering apps (such as PDANet or EasyTether) will not allow VPN connections.

14. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member

If you have root, just download Barnacle wifi tether off the market (Free). No special kernels needed.

15. dblock110

dblock110 Well-Known Member

i have rooted 2.1 but the wired tether is telling me its incompatible

16. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

You need a compatible kernel. P3Droid is a good start.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

17. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

I'd suggest using BuglessBeast or CyanogenMod for a non-thrills rom. They're both pretty basic and maintain the typical stock look with just performance enhancements.