Looking for opinions on the batterySupport

Last Updated:

1. vicshalls

vicshalls Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please be kind cause I have read so much on this subject that my own head hurts. I just want yalls opinion. I did the update yesterday with out bricking. I was hoping my battery would be better by doing it. I have tried every trick yall have posted. Is it normal for android to be at 40-30% by 2pm if you take it off the charger at 6am. By the time I get to work it is already at 90% and my drive is only 15 minutes. I talked to htc and they suggested getting another battery and I did. They also told me out could be a loose wire in the phone. When I get to work I surf some and about 5 text messages. Then surf for about 5 minutes at a time during the day. And when I get off it is at 30-40%. Should I exchange it? Or is this normal. I just really love my phone and have it set the way I want it and really don't want to start over. Kinda scaredi might end up with real problems. Lol

Advertisement
  2. italygrl1

italygrl1 Well-Known Member

Hate you tell you but that is the way it is.A patch in the future may fix it but i got rid of the hero for the moment because i had the same exact problem with that phone..These android powered phones have the most complaints about battery.It is an awesome phone but it does so much that i would either get a back up battery from ebay or deal with it or get rid of it.There is this place that sells them from china or hong kong on ebay(just search it) and it will take about 2 weeks to come but it comes with an extra battery and charger for the battery so you can charge it and take it with you and its only like 12 bucks.I did that with my hero before i got rid of it and it worked great.Just like a 40 dollar battery from HTC.Only much much cheaper and that way you dont have to have it in your phone to charge it.The charger plugs into the wall and charges the extra battery..Good luck,i know how it is to be losing battery power like nothing.

3. vicshalls

Thanks for the opinion. I am surei can live with it lord knows I have a charger everywhere. I appreciate it.

4. cr74mz

cr74mz Member

After that calibration song and dance, I turned off auto-sync, GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and 4G (I don't use GPS, the cell towers are specific enough for my purposes. 3G is fast enough that I don't need a Wi-Fi connection, which is just as well since I don't have one. I don't use anything with Bluetooth, and 4G isn't available in my area) I set my facebook sync to once a day (which I think gets overridden by turning Auto-sync off anyway) After it was all said and done, it routinely takes about 30 hours to get from 100%-30% The only complaint that I have is the weather app has been a bit quirky, sometimes completely disappearing.

To summarize, I took the following actions:
    Calibrated my battery (instructions in this very helpful thread);
    Turned off auto-sync (menu>settings>accounts & sync>Auto-sync);
    Turned off GPS;
    Turned off Wi-Fi;
    Turned off Bluetooth;
    Turned off 4G;

My result:

Routine 30 hour use from 100% charge to 30% charge.

Note:

The reason for your 10% drop during your 15 minute drive may be due to the way Evo charges. Once the phone reaches 100% charge, the display will continue to read 100% (green led + % on pattern lock screen) but the device will stop pulling power from the cable, and will instead run off of the battery. After the device drains to a certain point (~80-90% I'm not sure) it will then begin to charge again, however it will always show 100% and green led. Therefore, if you take the device off of the charger while it has charged and dropped, you will notice a significant % drop over the next few minutes.

Hope that helps

5. cjnyc

cjnyc Member

This seems ridiculous. The Android system is incapable of a trickle charge once it reaches 100%, so that when I wake up in the morning it's still at 100? I hate that my phone is down to 90% after my 20 minute commute to work. I'm not going back to my iPhone, but it did trickle charge to keep the battery at 100%. Heck, even my lame iPad can do this! Is there an app capable of generating a trickle charge? Additionally, here are the packages running within the "Android System" as listed in the battery section...

Android System
    Accounts & sync
    Settings Storage
    Checkin Service
    Rosie Utility
    Sync Feeds
    Settings
    HTC Checkin Service
    HTC Widget Download Manager
    BrcmBluetoothServices
    VPN Services
    Setup
    Account and Sync Settings
    HTC Function Test Program 1.00g
    Network Location

Do all these need to be running? I notice Bluetooth in that list, yet I have Bluetooth off. Also, all these sync services and the HTC functions, do they need to be on? I use Exchange for email.

Two things I don't understand....

1. This might be the worst Bluetooth stack in any phone today. When Bluetooth is on and not connected, it sucks battery life. This is utterly ridiculous for a modern smartphone. I never turned bluetooth off on my iPhone 3Gs, and it had no perceptable drain on battery life. Is there something wrong with the standby function? Also, the integration with BMW's 2010 iDrive system is horrible. The phonebook loads incorrectly, with some names missing, when it even loads. My Blackberry Bold and iPhone 3Gs functioned perfectly.

2. The HTC mail application, when using Exchange, is utterly horrible. My minor issue is that the keyboard covers the send button. My major issue is that it can take upto 20 seconds to open a simple text email, and often times, just the email list might take that long! Is Android not properly keeping HTC mail running and in memory? I have never seen this issue, even going back to my Palm Treo days.

Just to reiterate, I'm not going back to an iPhone, but I am considering killing this phone for the Galaxy S, even though I don't want to. Can anybody help with these problems?

Thanks in advance!!!

6. quentin135

quentin135 Well-Known Member

Except for the battery calibration, that's pretty much what I do and I usually get about 24 hours before getting down to 30% (I would say I use my phone moderately). I noticed cell signal strength seems to affect my battery life as much my actual usage. I also turn off mobile data when I know I won't be touching my phone for a while.

7. vicshalls

I can't even get my battery to calibrate so don't feel too bad! Lol