looking for recommendation on tablet for kids

1. garybeck

garybeck Well-Known Member

i'm going to get android tablets for my 9 year old twin boys.

rather than spending hours on amazon reading reviews i thought i'd ask here for a recommendation.

I don't want anything too big. 7" would be fine. even smaller would be OK. I really don't want something big and bulky. they've been using my phone that has a 3.?" screen and having lots of fun with it.

I think I prefer the open generic Android operating system, without other proprietary stuff on top that supposedly makes things easier but IMHO just prevents functionality. I don't need a bunch of kid stuff on there preinstalled. I'm sure I can download education apps that I choose instead of what the manufacturer thinks I want. They're capable of operating my "adult" phone and I don't see why they would necessarily need something oriented or marketed for kids at all. But perhaps i'm wrong on this? Do I need a "kids" device or not?

the one thing I do want is control over their use. I want to limit the websites they go to and the amount of time they use it. I'm guessing there are apps I can download for this from the google store and they don't necessarily need to be preinstalled.

any suggestions?

Advertisement
    :
  2. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

I know you don't want the proprietary overlay, but the new Kindle Fire HD has the best parental and kid friendly stuff I've seen on a tablet. Otherwise, I would say the Nexus 7 would be a great option.
  3. maggotspawn

maggotspawn Member

I'm really happy with my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
  4. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

The Nexus 7, it's pretty cheap but decent enough specs and there are plenty parental control apps on the Play store if you wish to use one. Also there will be little or no bloatware as it's a pure android device, I don't know much about the Kindle but I believe it's tied in quite heavily to Amazon

I don't think 9 year olds need a kids device, to be honest I think it would hold them back and make them become disinterested like they get with other toys.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/596018-nexus-7-parental-controls.html is a thread regarding parental control on the Nexus 7
  5. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Hey there guys i am moving this thread into General Tablet Talk to get some better feedback :)
  6. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

I would honestly go ahead and pay the extra $100 for a Nexus 7 over the one you linked. Nice specs and great tablet. Some of the cheaper ones don't have access to the Play Store.
  7. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

There is one here advertises as an android 4.0 kids tablet, sold at toys r us, which has a proprietary launcher that appears like the leap pad. Has "mommy and daddy" modes that give access via password to play store, claims to be pre-loaded with apps and games themed for kids. Forget the name though

For those with a Big Lots store, a smaller screen 4" Polaroid tablet with android 4.0 for $60
  8. z0mb13m4n

z0mb13m4n Well-Known Member

After buying my daughter a Nabi 2 and getting it set up for her, I highly recommend it. Its just as smooth and fast and as powerful as my wife's Asus Transformer. If you don't want the kids part of it, it is possible to get rid of it after an easy rooting process. Its relatively cheap, $199 USD, or if you find a sale, it could be as cheap as $129. Only downside is the rather bad viewing angles.
  9. Esallty

Esallty New Member

Perhaps you can consider ePad ICS .
  10. Quigs10

Quigs10 Member

Hey,

I just bought 2 Uniden 7" Tablets ($60 ea) for my daughters (8 and 4). I think they are perfect for letting kids learn how to use a tablet and aren't very expensive. They run on 4.0 and are already rooted. So, you can modify and add to your liking. The problem is that there is not much info ANYWHERE.