1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Looking for router (wireless) recommendations

1. Bearcats

Bearcats Well-Known Member

As I go through looking for a new router to replace my POS Westell, I find 50% of the reviews hate XXX router and then 50% love it and will die for it. So it makes it hard to figure out fact from fiction.

I want to be able to have 802.11 B/G/N. I will be using an old (Vista) computer with a wireless adapter as well as an iPhone 4s, Droid DNA, Nexus 7 and a Kindle Fire.

I am looking for reliable throughput and speed. Storage, VPN and other such things are not high on my list.

Can anybody point me to reliable reading to sort out the chaff from the good?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Bearcats likes this.
  3. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

I found http://www.smallnetbuilder.com helpful.

Asus RT-N66U serves our needs well: iPhone, Nexus 4, 2 laptops and a Pure media streamer wireless + 2 servers, smart TV, popcorn hour a110, 2 TiVos and various media streamers wired. Plus multiple wireless devices on our guest network.

Good wireless throughput and range with dual band, vpn server and free DDNS, and a nifty app for iPhone and Android (aicloud).
    Bearcats likes this.
  4. Bearcats

That one caught my eye as well. Its a little pricey but seems to offer the stability (and about a billion options) that might be worth paying for.
  5. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Unless your closest neighbor is at least 1/4 mile away, having the ability to use the 5.8GHz band is a BIG plus! I live in apartment complex where I can see at least a hundred SSIDs at 2.4GHz and one at 5.8GHz. IJS.
  6. Mayhem

Mayhem Well-Known Member Contributor

Avoid Netgear and LinkSys.
  7. kevincott

kevincott Well-Known Member Contributor

I bought a Belkin N router that had known issues, upgraded it to DD-WRT firmware and it has been flawless.
  8. Bearcats

Like the plague! :D
  9. Carson11

Carson11 Member

ASUS RT-N56U also get great reviews, and a litter cheaper, and you can check the details and reviews here