• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for router (wireless) recommendations

Bearcats

Android Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2012
USA
As I go through looking for a new router to replace my POS Westell, I find 50% of the reviews hate XXX router and then 50% love it and will die for it. So it makes it hard to figure out fact from fiction.

I want to be able to have 802.11 B/G/N. I will be using an old (Vista) computer with a wireless adapter as well as an iPhone 4s, Droid DNA, Nexus 7 and a Kindle Fire.

I am looking for reliable throughput and speed. Storage, VPN and other such things are not high on my list.

Can anybody point me to reliable reading to sort out the chaff from the good?

Thanks!

I found http://www.smallnetbuilder.com helpful.

Asus RT-N66U serves our needs well: iPhone, Nexus 4, 2 laptops and a Pure media streamer wireless + 2 servers, smart TV, popcorn hour a110, 2 TiVos and various media streamers wired. Plus multiple wireless devices on our guest network.

Good wireless throughput and range with dual band, vpn server and free DDNS, and a nifty app for iPhone and Android (aicloud).

Reactions: Bearcats
Upvote 0
I found Real Help For Your Small Network - SmallNetBuilder helpful.

Asus RT-N66U serves our needs well: iPhone, Nexus 4, 2 laptops and a Pure media streamer wireless + 2 servers, smart TV, popcorn hour a110, 2 TiVos and various media streamers wired. Plus multiple wireless devices on our guest network.

Good wireless throughput and range with dual band, vpn server and free DDNS, and a nifty app for iPhone and Android (aicloud).

That one caught my eye as well. Its a little pricey but seems to offer the stability (and about a billion options) that might be worth paying for.

Upvote 0
Unless your closest neighbor is at least 1/4 mile away, having the ability to use the 5.8GHz band is a BIG plus! I live in apartment complex where I can see at least a hundred SSIDs at 2.4GHz and one at 5.8GHz. IJS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones