Looking for some advice/insight...

Last Updated:

1. mako71

mako71 New Member This Topic's Starter

After having some incarnation of a Blackberry for years, I currently have the Sprint Hero and am considering going back to a Blackberry. The reasons I'm considering moving away from my Hero are:

1. Lag (tired of accidentally dialing people because of the phone interface lag)
    2. Constant need to force apps close to conserve memory (Advanced Task Killer)
    3. Poor battery life
    Now I understand an Android phone is not a Blackberry but I'm wondering if the upcoming Android 2.1 release will remedy these issues? I do like the Android interface and HTC Sense but the issues listed above can be very frustrating.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Advertisement
  2. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

the 2.1 will definatly improve the lag, but it will only improve it, not magic it away
    you could just disable sence ui, and it would revert back to the original intercae ( like the g1 ect..)

you could get taskiller and set it to auto kill apps, or auto kill when the backlight goes off
    i rarely have to use the taskiller, its only when it gets too bad

get one of those super high capacity batters, or disable data serives/gps when not un use, buy another charger for more locations of your house
    before running away from android i would hold out till 2.1, its not long not ( fingers crossed) :)

3. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

You should never have to use a task killer, except when an app freezes up. The OS does a great job of managing memory as it is.

Rooting (simple process), and flashing a custom ROM like Fresh 1.1 (very simple process), will improve your phone's responsiveness greatly. Especially if you put the Gumbo Kernel on as well. The lag will literally go away, and there will be virtually no lag on any process. Running SetCPU with that kernel will also improve your battery life. If you can't get 18 hours out of a full charge with moderate-heavy use right now, then something is running in the background that shouldn't be, and you should download Spare Parts to see what it is. With SetCPU and the custom ROM, I am quite certain I could get 30+ hours of moderate use. I know I can get 18 hours on moderate-heavy use, and still have over half my battery remaining, and I charge every night anyway.

Long story short. ROOT AND ROM. That will nearly completely remove all of the issues you are currently experiencing.

4. doublebullout

doublebullout Well-Known Member

First and foremost, there is no "constant" need to close apps. Android does not manage memory like Windows does, and if you are aggressively using task killers to interfere with Android's memory management process you can quite easily cause problems #1 and #3. Try leaving Android alone for a while and see if that helps resolve the lag and battery problems. Unless you're using apps that are poorly designed, you don't need to be forcing apps to close constantly.

5. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

Also a reboot every now and then will help. Remember it's a mini pc not just a cell phone. I notice big improvements after a reboot and have more free RAM. Definately root and flash a custom ROM before you go back to a Blackberry, I too came from a BB and couldn't be happier.

6. mako71

mako71 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you all for the great feedback. After reading this I think I will wait for the 2.1 update and maybe try rooting and installing a ROM. That or swap phones with my buddy who has the Moment and wants to try out the Hero.

I have a feeling that if I went back to a Blackberry I would miss the customization options of Android.

7. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

ROOT your phone...slap the gumbo kernel + ram hack....you'll see a big difference ...

8. sampo

sampo Active Member

My experience is that "task killers" actually drain more battery life. Tatonka and Double are right the OS does an exceptional job of closing/managing apps. There are a few tips to improve both Batt life and Lag. After a 12-14 hour day I'm at 50-60% after lots of browsing, intense texting, and moderate voice calls. Couple things I did to improve lag/batt life: got rid of TK, disabled vibrate when typing, and set hourly e-mail checks. I should note that I am also running the flip clock/weather widget with automatic updates.

Good luck, this is a good forum with lots of info...