• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for some help in making up my mind

What one should I get???

• Samsung Fascinate

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Motorola Droid X

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters

AlissaLL3

Dec 25, 2010
Arizona
Samsung Fascinate or Motorola Droid X

I've read both forums areas and both have great pros and some cons.
I'm really liking the Fascinate but the lack of support and buggy issues with it are making me wonder. The Droid X is nice too but could be too big?

Anyways. VOTE and help me pick one! :p

OK - Droid X. Samsung continues to be plagued by a slower update cycle, and the entire series is hit or miss with GPS.

As a user of a phone with a 4.3" screen myself - can't stress this enough - the larger package is worth it for the larger screen.

I like ebooks, use Aldiko (free in the Market) and get my books from Project Gutenberg (all free, have been reading and re-reading all sorts of great stuff). Bigger screen can't be beat.

How about I just go for trilogy and make up for those phantom viewers - get the big screen.

Saw your post in the other thread where you somehow tied easier unlocking on the X to making your Fascinate choice for you. I still haven't wrapped my head around that one.

As mentioned over there, X is Froyo (2.2) Fascinate is Eclair (2.1) - a vocal few claim this isn't a big deal - I'm one of the vocal many who says it definitely is - things run faster and smoother with it.

Samsung phones come with an iPhone-kinda interface, and pre-loaded with multimedia stuff. Multimedia stuff you can add, and if you try any of the other fine UI-changing launchers, you won't care about that interface.

Reactions: AlissaLL3
Upvote 0
Wow thank you for the informative response. I guess I lump root together as well. :)

I plan on totally removing everything possible and using the phone with the options we can put on them.

I have seen both in person and both are very impressive. The Fascinates screen is fantastic, and the X does feel bigger in my hand but not by much.
The problem I guess is only having 2 phones to pick from in my mind on Verizon.

I also watch movies and read on my current phone so that would be a plus to have a .3 size difference.

Uggh I can't decide!!!!

Upvote 0
I wish I could wait a few months for what is revealed at CES but I'm paying for insurance on a device they won't replace. They will give me a Fathom if something happens to my Pre Plus. NOT acceptable.
Also, I'm missing the boat as they say by not being on Android and after suffering the last 8mo for anything decent in our app catalog I'm done waiting. :)

Thank you though!

Upvote 0
If all you are worried about is size (that's the only con you mentioned for the X), I will say I was also this way (about the EVO). In the end, I am so happy I chose it. Size is not an issue, and while I wouldn't MIND going smaller, it is definitely nice to have the extra screen realestate. Unless you are wearing tights everywhere you go, it should fit just fine (and comfortably) in your pocket. My girlfriend where standard hip-hugging jeans but can comfortably toss it in her front or back pocket.

Upvote 0
Go with the fascinate,I say that because I think the x is a manly looking phone for a female.Just my opinion.

Gotta hand it to them on styling - that is one good-looking phone.

Being active, I've got my Evo (more industrial looking also) wrapper'd with a screen protector and a rubberized cheapo case. Mine's almost fugly because of that but I like it and to each his own. When my buddy at work pulls out his Fascinate, tho - I just gotta give it the props in the looks dept.

- AlissaLL3 - just my 2 cents regardless of which way you go, even with the cool gorilla glass on the Fascinate - nothing's impervious to sand (one of the active ingredients in sandpaper :) ) so I recommend a screen protector to just about everyone. I'm sure you've gotten you're own good habits from owning a Pre Plus - just wanting to cover all bases.

- Why lordofthereef and I are offering up Evo size when discussing the X:

Evo - 122 x 66 x 13 mm .... X - 127.5 x 65.5 x 10 mm .. so, that's less than 1/4" taller than what we carry

Upvote 0
Since you are going to root and modify, you want the Fascinate.

The X is a better phone out of the box, but a Fascinate running a DJ05 Kernel and customized ROM trumps or equals it in every way (except size and voice quality). This should be even more so once Froyo (Finally) makes it to the Fascinate. Watching video on an SAmoled screen trumps watching video on a .3" bigger LCD screen. A better 5MP camera lens trumps a so-so 8MP lens. The Graphical and Audio Chipset in the Fascinate trumps that in the X. Once the software is evened out, the sole appeal the X has for me is the superior voice quality of the X. But the Fascinate voice and signal quality are fine, just not as good. And the Graphics chip and screen rock.

...Multimedia stuff you can add...
Respectfully disagree. The chipset has to be there to run it. You can add the software in most cases, but the multimedia hardware on the Fascinate is superior. (except for screen SIZE)

However, they are both capable phones and you will be happy with either. The differences we discuss aren't that major.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones