Looking for some info from you pros!

Last Updated:

1. dvigue

dvigue Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i would like ot root my X so i can get rid of bloatware, and maybe increase my battery life, change fots etc. i had a couple questions, adn i cant seem to find a straight answer. could you call help me?

here a goes..

what is the Easiest way for me to root my X?

so i have to install a recovery first?

How do i remove the bloatware after i root?

where is is there a list of Great working ROMS for my rooted X? is there a Stock Rom on here somewhere ot DL also? so i can have a clean slate.

i read that my X bootloader is locked. what does that prevent me from doing?

i have the 2.2 OTA installed also..

thanks so much!

Advertisement
  2. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

root here. Don't need to install a recovery to root it.
    Easiest way to RENAME bloatware is with root explorer navigate /system/app/ then rename the approved ones to .bak.
    can't install fully custom ROMS but this is close enough for now.
    there is an SBF of the system files for the OTA 2.2 but i can't currently find it.
    A locked bootloader prevents injecting a new kernal not signed by M and ROMs but the community will soon get it (IMO).
    Hope this helps. Also, all of this was on the first 2-3 pages of this forum. .

3. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

the easiest way ive seen to run is this method from droid life How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog although the droid2 method from xda works as well

if you go over to the root section there is a list of roms and themes available for the dx. the roms that you can put on your dx aren't true roms like something you would see on the droid 1 or incredible but more of optimized or de-blurred ones like flyx and tranquility.

there are no aosp/built from source roms as of yet due to the locked bootloader, but cvpcs is working on obisidian currently which is built from source as it hijacks the boot process. there is no eta on this though

the locked bootloader prevents custom kernels and roms from being loaded on the droid x and droid 2. custom kernels are need for overclocking/undervolting. there was/is an overclock method for 2.1 but its a one-off as it can't be (at least to my knowledge) transfered to 2.2

still there are many themes out there that are fun to mess around with and im sure you'll enjoy loading them up

4. dvigue

how do you install the themes?

5. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

there is I believe a one click root for the Droid 2 that works for the X. You can find it on the XDA dev site. Sorry don't have link

Can't do that until you root
    Root first then get Koush's DroidX bootstrap app from the Market or his site.

Get Titanium Backup
    with that you can either uninstall them or freeze them.
    if you want to be safe.. Just freeze them or rename them or you can just hide them with LauncherPro .(you'll need root manager or something similar to rename them though. If you rename just change the .apk to something else) Then if for some reason you have to restore them ..say for a future update you still have them

we don't have any great ROMS yet and the ones we have aren't really ROMs. There is a thread in the all things root forum that has all the ROMS and Themes listed.
    Anything good :D Like real ROMS. All we can do now is remove apps maybe change some apps add some from other phones etc etc and do Themes.. It's kind of a bummer but we may get it unlocked soon but it's been pretty hush hush lately and we don't really know what is going on with it, if anything.

Oh your screwed then:D Even if the boot loader gets unlocked unless you can roll back your current bootloader you may not be able to flash ROMS. Moto changed the keys and signatures to screw over the mod community:mad:
    Rumor has it we can roll it back put they are keeping it secret until we need to. Probably to prevent MOTO from F'ing up that possibility also. Moto Sucks rock btw.

Sure have fun

6. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

7. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Depends but most newer ones you do from Koush's clockwork recovery.
    You will need this to do just about anything that has to do with ROMS or Themes if you don't want to use ADB

8. dvigue

what is the bootstrap for?

9. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

bootstrap is the program the koush developed to give the droid x recovery. basically it has to hijack the boot process from the phone to put you into recovery where almost every other android phone you can just boot straight into.

10. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

I assume this is used in cases where there is an issue with the rooted device, and that it's data can be recovered so it doesn't turn into a brick?

I'm a newbie when it comes to Rooting/Android, and have been thinking of rooting for awhile, figured I'd wait for Froyo to officially be released. Anyone heard of issues of users rooted running Froyo?

11. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

It's also used for Roman, themes, and other things like that.

12. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

If I were you? I'd take one step at a time. (that's what I did). Now, I'm here. Rooted, deoxed, deobloated, and custom themed. :)

13. dvigue

that was my next question. how do i " deoxed" my phone??? what is that again>?

14. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Quoting "Berzerker" from droid forums dot net:

"Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything."

15. dvigue

how about instructions on that? :0

16. northernmoris

northernmoris Well-Known Member

2.3.13, 2.3.15 and some others come deodexed already. But now thaf I see you have 2.2 OTA thats useless for you.. Theres a bunch of threads within the first 6 pages that will help you, just skim through the titles.