• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for Toast popups for music on an offline device, media player suggestions, etc...

Hi all,

I am setting up one of my old phones as a navigation and music device. This way I can have it in the dock when I'm driving, play my music, use GPS navigation(Offline mode, of course), and still have my phone free. I don't kill my phone battery, I can use my BT headset for the phone, but my Aux Input on my car stereo for music input, etc... I'm going to do nothing else on the phone, except display the speedometer app I use, and occasionally get online if I'm on WiFi and need to check the Internet.

So here are the things I'm looking for:

I would like some advice on a very easy to use music player that still has nice options, like an EQ. I'm toying with PowerAmp, and I kind of like it, but trying to navigate while driving is kind of a pain, since the buttons to select the library are tiny, stuff like that. I like some of its other features, though.

I tried n7 Player, and really liked it until the trial period expired and I suddenly had ads on the bottom, videos ads that would auto play, and locked out features. I don't mind paying for stuff, but that overwhelming BS is just a deal breaker.

I'm looking into DoubleTwist, I've played with it on and off over the years, but haven't listened to a LOT fo music on my phones, mostly because I'm either at home, driving or working when I want to listen to music, and I have devices that do all of this without involving my phone. Now with this setup, that's obviously changed.

One of the things I really want is popups. Toast popups with song title, etc. Some of these apps have this, and I have found a couple that add this functionality, but as I understand it, they need 'Scrobbling' turned on, and apparently this goes to Last.fm for this info. Obviously, since this phone is generally offline, this is useless, and the times when it would be online, I'd be able to manually check it anyway. Am I understanding this part wrong? It can't just display the song name that's right there in the friggin' file name,and is displayed on the player? I have to be confused here. I really want this particular feature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want this to be as non-distracting as possible, the toast when a new song pops up(In case it's either a new album or one I haven't listened to in a long time), and a very easy to use or customize GUI interface for the basic stuff like choosing Artist, Album and Music to once again keep my eyes on the road as much as possible.

I have Tasker, and understand the basics of it, so if this is possible through some kind of task, I could do it that way as well, after assuring everyone that I can figure it out, failing to actually figure it out, and then asking for help, of course.

Thanks guys!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones