Looking to apply custom boot animation with root

Last Updated:

1. Nitraine21

Nitraine21 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering if there is an easy way to change the boot animation on my EVO as well as the splash screen. I do realize there is a long way to do it without root, but I am operating from a Mac.

If there were some rooted apps that do this, please point me to them. And if you have any special methods that you use, please share them.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I was under the impression that rooting was mandatory, because the files the phone reads from to render the boot animation reside in /system. And that area requires root to write to.

Unless there's another location the phone will default to that allows a user to override the default files, I think you have to be rooted to change the boot animation.

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Nitraine21 likes this.
  4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

The droid life instructions are worth a try for the unrooted. so according to that article, if you put bootanimation.zip into /data/local, the phone will default to that one. Note that it makes no mention of where to put the audio mp3 file.

To do it the rooted way for 2.2, you need to overwrite the default files located in these locations:

/system/customize/resource/bootanimation.zip

/system/customize/resource/SPC_animation_final.mp3 OR
    /system/media/android_audio.mp3

I'll assume you know what format the bootanimation.zip needs to be...

5. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

which one....there are three methods there, 2 of which make recent claims that they work on stock 2.2....

again...I haven't tried any of them...and am now rooted. actually found the information while studying up on root.

7. luigic81

luigic81 Well-Known Member

hmm so I am trying to do this in ES file explorer and can't get the bootanimation.zip to successfully overwrite the one already in the system/customize/resource folder??
    I just put the new animation on the root of my SD card, then I copied it in ES file explorer, then went to the new location and pasted it, it asked if I wanted to replace, I said yes but then it said, copying of bootanimation.zip failed

8. luigic81

I should add that I did find a flashable zip for a custom boot animation and that one is currently working fine, not sure if that has anything to do with what I'm trying to do with file explorer
    Also I tried pushboot but couldn't get it to recognize my phone when I opened the. Bat file

9. luigic81

nevermind I got it to work with root explorer