• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to buy HTC Desire

omni

Apr 9, 2010
Hello everyone.
I have about a $600 budget and I am looking to purchase an unlocked HTC desire for use with my USA AT&T service.

1. I want to ask you guys what you think of it? The reason why I am choosing this device is that WP7 seems like an upset to me, and I refuse to buy products from any manufacturer other than HTC, and AT&T only has HTC's lower end android product.
Also, coming from WinMo 6.5, this will be my first time with Android.
I would just like to know your thoughts and opinions?

2. Is there anything you would recommend getting with this phone? (i.e. ZAGG invisible shield, case, etc)

3. Also, for someone on USA AT&T, are you getting charged for data? I don't want to use data (wi-fi is enough for me) so I was wondering if there is a way to use this phone without AT&T charging me. Apparently, whenever you put a sim card in to a smart phone, AT&T automatically adds a data plan on to your contract, and I don't need data.

Hello everyone.
I have about a $600 budget and I am looking to purchase an unlocked HTC desire for use with my USA AT&T service.

1. I want to ask you guys what you think of it? The reason why I am choosing this device is that WP7 seems like an upset to me, and I refuse to buy products from any manufacturer other than HTC, and AT&T only has HTC's lower end android product.
Also, coming from WinMo 6.5, this will be my first time with Android.
I would just like to know your thoughts and opinions?

2. Is there anything you would recommend getting with this phone? (i.e. ZAGG invisible shield, case, etc)

3. Also, for someone on USA AT&T, are you getting charged for data? I don't want to use data (wi-fi is enough for me) so I was wondering if there is a way to use this phone without AT&T charging me. Apparently, whenever you put a sim card in to a smart phone, AT&T automatically adds a data plan on to your contract, and I don't need data.

1. Desire is not low end phone ;)
2. Nah, Just a case, I don't use any shields, I had though, it was hard to install and it looked horrible... ;D I prefer normal plasticy and glassy Desire ;D

Upvote 0
I would personally not get a Zagg shield as I find they have a slightly bumpy surface and give a slight amount of resistance when sliding your finger over the screen. Perfectly good for a non touch screen but not for your desire.

I've got a Martin Fields screen protector on mine and find it absolutely perfect. It looks and feels as good as if I did not have one on. It does not affect the display in any way and the screen can get scratched so I would advise putting one on. You also get a small round one for the camera lens which protects that too :D

Upvote 0
I have had my Desire on AT&T for about two months now and still use the $15.00 unlimited data that I have had for the last four years now. As for screen protection I just purchased a three pack from Amazon that are Anti-Glare and they work great, I am still on my first one and having no problems at all, I have used the Zagg and the Martin Fields on many different phones but why spend such money on a screen protector, the one I have now works just as good and it only cost me ten dollars for three of them??? Plus I purchased two plastic two piece hard cases that I use all of the time to keep it from getting scratched, I think that they were only like five dollars each from Amazon also!!!

I purchased my Desire from E-bay from mobilexpresscanada already unlocked for $664.98 shipped and it was well worth the money, I have since upgraded the firmware to a stock HTC Froyo 2.2 Ruu that also wiped all of the Telus stuff off of the phone.

Look around E-bay there are people from Canada selling it and there are some good deals but it is getting harder to find because Telus is putting more restrictions on the sale of the phone because there have been so many sold without any contracts and ending up in the U.S.A. The phone you would look for is the Desire A8182 with the 850/1900 bands.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy your phone!!!!:D

Upvote 0
I've had my phone for about three months, no screen or body protectors used at any point, and there isn't a mark on it. Apart from the finger marks on the screen you couldn't tell it was used. I store it in a leather pouch case in my when I'm out and about, but during use and when I'm at home it's totally unprotected. If you're careful with it you don't need to coat in in cheap plastic - Glass is pretty tricky to scratch.

Upvote 0
I've had my phone for about three months, no screen or body protectors used at any point, and there isn't a mark on it. Apart from the finger marks on the screen you couldn't tell it was used. I store it in a leather pouch case in my when I'm out and about, but during use and when I'm at home it's totally unprotected. If you're careful with it you don't need to coat in in cheap plastic - Glass is pretty tricky to scratch.

I do not baby my phone that is why I need to protect it, I carry my phone in my pocket with everything else that is in the pocket, to each his own but I will not wear one of those dork carriers on my belt at all!!!

Upvote 0
I do not baby my phone that is why I need to protect it, I carry my phone in my pocket with everything else that is in the pocket, to each his own but I will not wear one of those dork carriers on my belt at all!!!
Amen, lol!!

As for protection, I'm gonna consider the following:

Case-Mate Torque Case
Case-Mate Tough Case

Not sure what the difference between the two is or which one is better. I think I'll buy a screen protector (if none is offered with the case) and put it over the screen in addition to having it in a case.

Upvote 0

I don't baby the phone I just don't throw it around! It goes in one of These inside my pocket, along with whatever else happens to be in there. No belt pouch here. In my humble opinion it looks better having it fully protected in a slim leather case (and bare when in use) than with a thick lump of rubber on the back and some crappy plastic covering the screen. :p

Upvote 0
well its the only device i ever bought and never regreted buying after a week or so ,
i had my desire for 4 months now and it still blows me away :D
how can they make a personal device better than this one ?

oh yeh the hd , eer i dont think so , remember you gota keep that big fat screen in yer pocket most of the time . lol
long live the desire :) and im sure it will :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones