• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to Give back my Captivate and getting an EVO

which is better?

• Evo

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Captivate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Optimus prime?!

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
I just bought a Captivate exactly 6 days ago and im loving it MINUS the GPS problem it has. I have a GPS nav on my car so it doesnt bother me as much, but knowing i have a GPS that is CRAP bothers me knowing i paid the same amount of money id pay for an EVO.

I read reviews about the EVO so far i have 3 deal breakers

Battery, and camera quality and screen.

I know battery depends on how one uses it. with my captivate i get about 7 hours of use which is decent for what i use it for which is alot during the day.

Captivate has a 5mp camera but it deff is beast, It is one of the best cameras i seen on the phone, and of course the only good thing about the galaxy s phones are the screen but im willing to give that up for a bigger screen and a WORKING GPS.

are their any known issues with the EVO's GPS ? is it reliable ? 4G speeds? worth it or is it hyped up?

I have owned the Samsung Captivate for ~ 23 hours and I absolutely hated it.

Pros:
Up to date hardware (1Ghz processor / 512 RAM / 16 GB SD card / 800 X 480 AMOLED screen / 5 MP cam)
Standard features like youtube / full html browsing works fine, nice screen and fast response time.

Cons:
Just about everything else. As I dig in further and my head is getting twice bigger.
1. I can't download anything from the Android market the screen will just stuck at "start downloading" forever. Googled it and did factory reset nothing helped.
2. No LED flash / front facing camera
3. Took me hours figuring out how to connect to the computer, tried Samsung KIES no luck, finally found some drivers and get it to work as a mass storage device.
4. AT&T is absolutely horrible. Put all the junk softwares came with the phone aside, I cant even install firefox on the phone after Root the phone. They put too much restrictions and it just feels like I don't have the freedom I deserve to have with my phone.
5. No GPS

Conclusion
The UI and customization with the Captivate is absolutely horrible, I have a 4 years old Cingular 3125 and it still wipes the floor with Captivate.

Upvote 0
are their any known issues with the EVO's GPS ? is it reliable ? 4G speeds? worth it or is it hyped up?

The Evo's gps works great. Sadly since we recently invested in a new PNA, it works better than our Garmin as a nav unit. Much faster at recalculations!

The GalaxyS phones are all pretty sweet and have a better screen and more raw processing power than the EVO. OTH, at&t is a deal breaker for me. That they try to prevent side loading pisses me off. No flash for the camera is another big omission. Even though my wifes Epic had better specs, camera and screen, I wouldn't trade it for my Evo. Sometimes a device is more than the sum of its parts.

Upvote 0
The Evo is an awesome phone, but as pastararian states - you should be more concerned about the carrier / coverage / pricing than the phone itself. The phone may last you a year or two, but if you have crappy coverage or have budget constraints those should be the more important factors to consider.

Upvote 0
Get the Evo, its a better device. Just as snappy and the GPS works fantastically on the Evo, very fast at calculations and reliable. This device has discouraged me from getting a netbook, my desktop is enough for me to get work done and my Evo is good for everything else. Service is great also with Sprint.

You won't be dissapointed using this over a Captivate. The bigger screen, flash for the rear cam, ffc, UI overlay, and 4G speeds is enough for me to make the jump

Upvote 0
Evo's GPS works perfectly. I've used it quite a bit and never had any issues. 4G is sweet if it's rolled out in your area. It's definitely underhyped IMO. The commercials don't even show a fraction of what you can do with it. You won't be disappointed.

Upvote 0
Okaaay soooo:)

Im pretty sure im going to sell my captivate for the evo.
I posted this same one in the captivate room to get responses, so it seems it would only be fair to post it in here too.
I love my captivate, and i love the evo.
My captivate is in mint condition and i could get at least $250 for it on ebay, and the evo would only cost $235 with activation..

Soooo, what should i do?
Thanks evo buddies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones