0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Optimus prime?!

3 vote(s)
    18.8%

Last Updated:

1. Manuelitoohno

Manuelitoohno Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought a Captivate exactly 6 days ago and im loving it MINUS the GPS problem it has. I have a GPS nav on my car so it doesnt bother me as much, but knowing i have a GPS that is CRAP bothers me knowing i paid the same amount of money id pay for an EVO.

I read reviews about the EVO so far i have 3 deal breakers

Battery, and camera quality and screen.

I know battery depends on how one uses it. with my captivate i get about 7 hours of use which is decent for what i use it for which is alot during the day.

Captivate has a 5mp camera but it deff is beast, It is one of the best cameras i seen on the phone, and of course the only good thing about the galaxy s phones are the screen but im willing to give that up for a bigger screen and a WORKING GPS.

are their any known issues with the EVO's GPS ? is it reliable ? 4G speeds? worth it or is it hyped up?

Advertisement
  2. Aerodrifting

Aerodrifting Active Member

I have owned the Samsung Captivate for ~ 23 hours and I absolutely hated it.

Pros:
    Up to date hardware (1Ghz processor / 512 RAM / 16 GB SD card / 800 X 480 AMOLED screen / 5 MP cam)
    Standard features like youtube / full html browsing works fine, nice screen and fast response time.

Cons:
    Just about everything else. As I dig in further and my head is getting twice bigger.
    1. I can't download anything from the Android market the screen will just stuck at "start downloading" forever. Googled it and did factory reset nothing helped.
    2. No LED flash / front facing camera
    3. Took me hours figuring out how to connect to the computer, tried Samsung KIES no luck, finally found some drivers and get it to work as a mass storage device.
    4. AT&T is absolutely horrible. Put all the junk softwares came with the phone aside, I cant even install firefox on the phone after Root the phone. They put too much restrictions and it just feels like I don't have the freedom I deserve to have with my phone.
    5. No GPS

Conclusion
    The UI and customization with the Captivate is absolutely horrible, I have a 4 years old Cingular 3125 and it still wipes the floor with Captivate.

3. nelonez

nelonez Active Member

IMO I say you return it and just get the Evo.... Its a much bette phone... I just retured my Vibrant from T-Mobile.... That thing was just horrible... I think Sprint has come along way with their phones and service.... No complaints here....

4. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

The Evo's gps works great. Sadly since we recently invested in a new PNA, it works better than our Garmin as a nav unit. Much faster at recalculations!

The GalaxyS phones are all pretty sweet and have a better screen and more raw processing power than the EVO. OTH, at&t is a deal breaker for me. That they try to prevent side loading pisses me off. No flash for the camera is another big omission. Even though my wifes Epic had better specs, camera and screen, I wouldn't trade it for my Evo. Sometimes a device is more than the sum of its parts.

5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

The Evo is an awesome phone, but as pastararian states - you should be more concerned about the carrier / coverage / pricing than the phone itself. The phone may last you a year or two, but if you have crappy coverage or have budget constraints those should be the more important factors to consider.

6. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Get the Evo, its a better device. Just as snappy and the GPS works fantastically on the Evo, very fast at calculations and reliable. This device has discouraged me from getting a netbook, my desktop is enough for me to get work done and my Evo is good for everything else. Service is great also with Sprint.

You won't be dissapointed using this over a Captivate. The bigger screen, flash for the rear cam, ffc, UI overlay, and 4G speeds is enough for me to make the jump

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the revues on the Captivate. My girlfriend is currently looking at one.

8. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Evo's GPS works perfectly. I've used it quite a bit and never had any issues. 4G is sweet if it's rolled out in your area. It's definitely underhyped IMO. The commercials don't even show a fraction of what you can do with it. You won't be disappointed.

9. goodboy

goodboy Well-Known Member

Personally, had Sprint offered a Galaxy S slate phone, I'd be all on it. As sweet as the Epic is, I didn't want to worry about how sturdy the mechanism for the keyboard was. So I chose the Evo squarely for its lack of keyboard.

10. MegatronVsMe

MegatronVsMe Well-Known Member

Okaaay soooo:)

Im pretty sure im going to sell my captivate for the evo.
    I posted this same one in the captivate room to get responses, so it seems it would only be fair to post it in here too.
    I love my captivate, and i love the evo.
    My captivate is in mint condition and i could get at least $250 for it on ebay, and the evo would only cost $235 with activation..

Soooo, what should i do?
    Thanks evo buddies.

11. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Yea get you an Evo, you will not regret it. its a beast and you'll really enjoy the extra screen real estate. The front facing camera with video chat is decent. And personally, I think the UI is cleaner than on the galaxy s line.

12. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

the cost difference is not correct..

you will save way much more over the 2 yr contract.. going to sprint

13. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Exactly... and this is why I choose carrier before i choose phone. It helps to look at the big picture.