Looking to Root, and get Gingerbread.

1. PrincePorter

PrincePorter Member

I just got my very first smart phone ever (I'm super late to the part), the Droid X, and I'm loving it so far. I'm a game developer, and a rather tech-savvy person overall. I've been reading a bit about rooting, and installing the Android OS updates, and I'm leaning towards wanting to root my phone. At first I was a bit against it, because the phone is brand new, and my first smart phone, but I realized that I'm exactly the kind of person who enjoys messing with devices in this sort of way, and it's definitely something I want to do.

That being said, I have Android 2.2, and a brand new Droid X out of the box. I'd like to root it, and install Android 2.3 on it. I DO NOT have a carrier, and just use this thing with wifi. I would however like to get on Verizon later, so anything that conflicts with that (don't think there is much, but I figured I'd mention it anyway) should be avoided, or not be irreversible.

While I'm well aware there are many guides, I'm having trouble finding exactly what I need with a brand new Droid concerning getting 2.3 without a carrier. If someone could leave me instructions on how to root my phone safely, give me a heads up on anything I should know about or be cautious of, and direct me on how to install Gingerbread 2.3, that would be amazing and greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

Hi Prince,
    Welcome to Android Forums
    im glad you found your way to the DX All Things Root Section

My signature has everything you need, in the 2nd link, it has the link for z4root, which roots your device,
    once you install z4root reboot your phone and then run it
    install either dx or d2 bootstrapper (its needed because of the locked up bootloader)
    you use dx/d2 bootstrapper to install everything!!
    make sure when you are flashing the pre rooted .596 ota you wipe data and cache before proceeding with the install.

just remember my 2nd post explains it all ^_^

if you need any help what so ever, feel free to send me a private message or just respond to your post :)
    PrincePorter likes this.
  3. bouchigo

bouchigo Well-Known Member

Just so it's clear, z4Root only works on Froyo, not on Gingerbread.
  4. PrincePorter

PrincePorter Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll be doing all this right now, so I'll try and do it and post as I go along, if needed. Quick question before I get started.

When I go to download the 1KDStaz file, there's 0.8, and 0.9, which one am I going to want? The 0.9 says Gingerbread currently no root method, so I'm assuming this is for gingerbread users, but I'm not positive.

My current understanding after taking a quick glance at the tutorial, is that I need to download 1KDStaz0.8 and put it on my flash drive. Start up windows, and change my boot settings to boot from my flash drive. I have my phone plugged in via usb, and start it up in to the bootloader stage, by holding down that button combination. Once in, press 1, follow instructions and then it'll turn itself off. I take out the battery, then boot up holding the home key, then use the camera and volume buttons to navigate and reboot.

Does the above sound correct, and is 0.8 the version I should use? I'm on windows 7.

Also, just so I have an understanding of what I'm doing here, what exactly is this first stage all about? What exactly does SBFing do?
  5. cougar214

cougar214 Well-Known Member

The 0.9 file contains the Gingerbread SBF file. Currently, the GB SBF file is not rootable. Stick with the 0.8 with the 2.3.340 Froyo SBF file.

Think of SBF'ing like reinstalling your windows. It formats you phone and reinstalls the OS. You have the steps correct. Keep in mind you may not have to pull your battery but all X's are not the same.
  6. bouchigo

If your sbf'ing to 2.3.340 make sure your battery is fully charged, or very close to it. You don't want your phone dying on in the middle of all of this, then you're just asking for trouble ;)
  7. cougar214

I concur captain. without a doubt, whole heartily, yes, be sure to have a well charged battery.

Umm, was that a little over doing it?
  8. PrincePorter

PrincePorter Member

I'm at 80%, should be good to go.
  9. bouchigo

Just a little, but he gets the point ;)
  10. PrincePorter

PrincePorter Member

So I've attempted to this for a few hours now (way too long), and I keep having issues. I burned the ISO, started up the program. Then it shows a screen asking about audio, I press enter, it asks about video, I press enter. Screen then goes black for at least 10-15 minutes, and doesn't seem to kick out of it. Since I knew a screen would come up with options 1,2 and 3, I turned off my computer and tried again. I pressed ok on audio, cancel on video. The 1 2 3 option screen came up. I pressed 1, then enter. Screen went to black, stayed that way for over 20 minutes. I turned off the phone, turned it back on, it works fine. Pressing 1 is supposed to keep me on that screen, then tell me when it's done, but it won't work. I'm also supposed to just press enter through the audio and video options, but that isn't working. Any ideas?

EDIT

Got it working, apparently the program doesn't like "1" on the numpad, but needs the normal 1 to be pressed. While many users know this, I think it should be in the instructions, because I'm tech savvy and this caught me up, I'm sure it'll get others.

I don't know why the audio/video stuff wasn't working, but skipping it seemed to do the trip, but NOT pressing OK (had to go to cancel).

Since doing this is rather scary for someone new to this, I believe a few more images would do great justice to the tutorial. For instance,

""wipe data/cache""

This part could use a picture, as well as be more specific. You're wiping two options, and it says,

"wipe data/factory settings and wipe cache" or something along those lines. Be more specific here, because again, people who don't know get panicky about what to do if it isn't exactly as the tutorial states, which it isn't.

Overall, excellent tutorial and I believe I'm about 15 minutes away from having Gingerbread and being rooted.
  11. cougar214

It is in the instructions. You may have just missed it...lol.

This is pretty self explanatory when you get into Clockwork recovery. You will see where it says "wipe data/factory reset" and "clear cache".

Your black screen problem was most likely due to you not choosing the right resolution for your vid card. That's why it asks you.