• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking up contacts by their area/country code

Jazz_rico

Lurker
May 22, 2013
Hello all,

thank you in advance for your inputs. I am overall quite disappointed with Android, it seems like certain features that should be so obvious and that my Nokia phones had 15 years ago are just not deemed as important. Maybe Android has these features, but for sure it doesn't make them intuitive at all.

Here is one: I am trying to look up names in MY contact list (I am not talking about the reverse number lookup that several apps perform) by searching by phone number, but no luck. It makes sense to me that if I go to contacts and I put, for instance, "310" in the search box, all names and numbers with area code 310 will show up. But that doesn't happen.
It is a feature that is really handy when I travel abroad, say I try to remember a name of someone in Germany and I can't, I just put in the German country code and I should be able to narrow down the search to my contacts in Germany. Like I mentioned, this was so obvious on those old Nokia phones...who cares about another videogame app when basic things like this just drive me nuts and, assuming that the feature is indeed offered by Android, you have to go on a forum to figure out how to use it...anyone agrees?

Anyway, does anyone know how I can perform that kind of search?

Thank you,
J

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones