1. Good things coming in just a couple hours, stay tuned!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking up contacts in Jelly BeansSupport

Last Updated:

1. mercmobily

mercmobily New Member

Hello everybody,

I am the proud owner for a Galaxy Nexus. I love this phone, and have Jelly Bean on it.
    Question: with the "old" Samsung mobile, if I wanted to dial "anna" I would simply type 266 -- that's the first 3 numbers to spell "Anna" in the keypad. A list of matching contacts would pop up, with Anna on top.

Also, if I dialed a number I had already dialed before, the phone would show it. It was very handy to know if I had called somebody before.

Are these features available for the stock Android system? At the moment, I have to press the magnifying glass at the bottom left hand side, and _type_ with the keyboard the name of the contact I want to call... but this is hardly convenient!

Thank you,

Merc.

Advertisement
  2. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

There is a way to make contacts favorites, you push the star next to their name. You can put a favorites widget on your home screen, I believe. I've never used it, I don't have that many contacts in my phone.
  3. Italo

Italo Well-Known Member

I don't think the stock dialer has that functionality. I use search on the phone or recent calls. I'm pretty sure Dialer One on the Play Store can do what you're taking about.
  4. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

From google, Gesture Search. Simply draw the letter(s) to spell the name until you see the one you want to call:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.gesturesearch

In my dialer, the middle icon on the top is a clock face and it shows missed, incoming, outgoing calls by contacts with most recent listed at the top. Each has a phone icon to the right you can tap to dial. This is stock for me on 4.2.1 and I believe I have had it since my first iteration of JB
  5. boyo1991

boyo1991 Well-Known Member

as far as i know, there isnt this functionallity in all android phones, just make sure you download the apps listed above, all are of good quality! i personally just go to my contacts and type out there name to call them though..
  6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

@mercmobily--
    I moved your thread here to your device forum so others can help out:)

Thanks to all that have responded already!
  7. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

This should also work for you. You can go to Contacts and create a shortcut on your homescreen. The shortcuts can be general for the contact, or to specifically send them a text or call them, etc.
  8. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

Or you can open Google Now and say call Anna.
  9. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

HTC Sense, certainly v2.1, had the same feature mercmobily talks about and I miss it too. Useful little feature that made it a bit quicker to make a call.
  10. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

yeah, most manufacturer skins added this because....well, it makes sense.
    its called T9 dialing or something like that.

CM10.1 has this built in and i use it all the time...i dont even use my "people" app.

i am hoping google sees this as a useful feature and throws it in on 4.2.2 or 5.0.
  11. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

I've never been interested in T9 as an option, though I've seen this posted before. I've seen Dialer One recommended for those who like that option. Personally, I dial from my history (clock tab in the middle) or my favorites/most called (right tab with the people icon). I think that I call so few people on a regular basis that they are always in the history at the top.
  12. patruns

patruns Well-Known Member

Just hit the microphone and say "call Anna". It needn't be more complicated than that.
  13. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

This is one feature that I miss on my Galaxy Nexus too. Google now works, but at a noisy restaurant or any other place where there are other voices, it has issues.

I had looked at Dialer One too, and I'm sure it works great. But the permission set bothers me.
    "READ SENSITIVE LOG DATA" - why?
    "PRECISE LOCATION (GPS AND NETWORK-BASED)" - why?

And
    "FULL NETWORK ACCESS", "APPROXIMATE LOCATION (NETWORK-BASED)" - ok - it is not as bad as Precise location, developer states location & internet permission is for "Yandex geo-search" - whatever that is - targeted ads in maps.

Personally, I'd prefer an app that just adds T9 dialing, without asking for these permissions. Make it a paid version, that doesn't require these permissions - fine.