lookout vs wavesecure

1. eteyen1

eteyen1 Well-Known Member

just wondering which of these security apps people think is better and why?

Thanks

Edit: For those who have paid for wavesecure or those who have paid for lookout premium, can you tell me your experiences of the your respective softwares with regards to pros and cons of both? If anyone has used both, do you have a preference or one you think is better and why? I am looking to buy one of them and would like to know which to get.

As far as I can tell, they both do pretty much the same thing, so why get one over the other is what I am after.

Advertisement
  2. You first.
  3. eteyen1

well I am trying to decide which to get, which is why I am asking for opinions as to which is the better one
  4. eteyen1

anyone...with any thoughts to share on this? Please?
  5. Wordslinger

Wordslinger Well-Known Member

I use Lookout Premium on my Incredible for its locate, lock, and wipe features. Locate and lock work okay. Luckily I haven't had a reason to remote wipe it yet, so I can't vouch for it. I hope it works.
  6. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

I use Lookout, free version. Seems to work ok for me. Tested the scream and locate functions and rely on it for antivirus scans (although that's probably just window dressing as Android doesn't have viruses).

I'm lazy...If the program is free and has good write ups and works, I usually just stay with that program. So haven't tried Wavesecure.
  7. Try to form your own opinion from actual, hands-on experience and then compare with those of others instead of copying just any opinion from total strangers.
    You didn't vote what your nextdoor neighbor voted because he's your nextdoor neighbor, did you?
    Or did you?

'MyLookOut', e.g., has a free version you can try (to form your own opinion)...
  8. wabbitt1970

wabbitt1970 Well-Known Member

I use Wavesecure and it works perfectly for me. Locates, and logs location. It also backs up your SMS, MMS, contacts, Call logs and photos every night.

This was incredibly useful as I had a SD card crap out on me and I could get my photos back straight away. A god send for that reason alone.

I tried the lock and scream. Works fine and you can set a custom message which is nice.

Haven't tried the remote wipe.

I did very briefly install Lookout but took it off straight away when it had some of the same features as WaveSecure.
  9. eteyen1

the reason I am asking for people's opinions is because they aren't free. If they were free for full features I would quite easily just do it myself. It makes sense to find out from people who have a product as to whether its worth spending money for...its sensible and frugal that way. Or do you just blindly spend your money on things without finding out whether it works properly or not? Surely actually answering the question would be more useful than your reply :rolleyes:
  10. eteyen1

I have in fact got the lookout free option and have had for a while. They've only recently added premium (the premium 30 day trial only appeared recently to my knowledge) so my story has not changed cause of defensiveness..

Since I have supposedly not been clear about what I want to know:

For those who have paid for wavesecure or those who have paid for lookout premium, can you tell me your experiences of the your respective softwares with regards to pros and cons of both? If anyone has used both, do you have a preference or one you think is better and why? I am looking to buy one of them and would like to know which to get.

As far as I can tell, they both do pretty much the same thing, so why get one over the other is what I am after.
  11. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Great re-post, eteyen1.

Wabbit's reply probably gives the best answer to date.

I had read that Lookout's "backup" service was buggy and sometimes wiped data on the user's phone.

On the other hand, I had read that some of Wavesecure's permissions were too broad.

In the end, if both offer the same service, you should read the reviews on Appbrain and in the Market to make a final determination. You should visit their developers' websites, too.
  12. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Let me refresh a few memories about the Forum Rules here at AF:

13. CrashRhin0

CrashRhin0 Member

Not sure if anyone has checked this thread in a while, but I was researching this today out of curiosity:
    wavesecure vs. mobile defense vs. lookout - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I use wavesecure personally, and I've rooted my phone. This means that wavesecure's lock will remain in place even after an attempted factory reset, all thanks to root uninstall protection that wavesecure released.

I tested the product when it was in beta, so I was lucky enough to get a free lifetime membership. The interface online is fantastic, backups are quick and easy (I have mine set to do it while charging), locations are accurate with GPS on, and the ability to manipulate the phone remotely is great.
    maxtweenie likes this.
  14. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

It is a waste of battery, space and money.
  15. maxtweenie

maxtweenie New Member

Thanks for reminding me I had full lifetime membership. I had disabled this and been using Lookout.
  16. gbonato

gbonato Active Member

I've been using Wavesecure, with paid subscription, for 1 year now. I find the service very good.

But when I weigh the benefits, I don't feel like renewing my subscription.

One downside is the use of international SMS. I've paid a few dollars because of SMS sent to Singapore.

And after all, I've never really used the service.

From today on, I will install and test Lookout.
  17. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

TekTrak