• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Looks like devs can start by-passing the bootloader...

I'd definitely love a little bit of background on this as I'm admittedly not the biggest rooter in the world. Announcing the project is one thing, but what are the chances they're successful? And what are you most looking forward to by tearing that bootloader a new one?

wow! its almost like a celebrity dropped in lol:D. the last i checked hte radio wasn't working.

Upvote 0
@digdug1 - I know, I love when Steven58 graces us with his presence! hehe ;)

Seriously though, tweaking the radio to work can't be the only reason people are getting edgy over the bootloader. And to get excited about this particular project, I'd love to hear more about any backstory here that indicates a history of similar success or almost-got-its.

Hopefully you're not considering this flaming or hijacking your post... seriously just trying to get filled in and I think many people feel the same!

Upvote 0
I can't stop thinking about the possibility of having Cyanogenmod finally on the Droid X.
We defeat the bootloader, the modding community for the X will exPLODE!
Along with a SPIKE in traffic to this site and many others! LoL!
Would love to hear all the details about the current work of Project Freedom.
!!!!!!!!UNLEASHX!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
birdman and a few others got the tried the kexec method for circumventing the BL. No radio though. Turns your phone into a super PDA. However, he says that getting the radios working is only a matter of writing the drivers for them. So anyone that has experience writing drivers should definitely get with him. I'm happy with the progress but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones