• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looks like the 30fps cap may be lifted possibly tomorrow OTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure it's not firmware?

From Engadget's site - "Last time we checked in on this problem, HTC had said that the EVO 4G's 30fps cap on video output simply couldn't be increased -- but it seems the latest firmware update might prove otherwise"

I see. Well i take back what i said. or this:

"
Update your software
• Go to the Home screen
• Tap Menu > Settings > System updates > HTC software update
• Your EVO will automatically download and install any available updates."

Reactions: takirb
Upvote 0
I did follow the supplied links. So what?
My question was regarding the OP and its link to the Sprint release, and your apparent discomfort with it. If Sprint is a bad source for information regarding Sprint phones, so be it.

I would suggest that rather than ridicule a poster for accurately interpreting a Sprint Official Release, you respectfully explain that Sprint is not a reliable source of information regarding Sprint phones, and tell us who is... with a smile!

Wow, you're a funny dude. Who ever said Sprint was an unreliable source? It's not very uncommon for a company not to release all the details of an update. And only talk about what most people would notice or have issues with.

They may also not advertise the fps removal to protect them selves if It causes more harm then good. Not that I think that will happen. And not that I think for sure Sprint will remove the cap, but I sure wouldn'tstart a new thread on the matter until someone has installed the updated and confirmed if Its been removed or not.

Upvote 0
Sure it's not firmware?

From Engadget's site - "Last time we checked in on this problem, HTC had said that the EVO 4G's 30fps cap on video output simply couldn't be increased -- but it seems the latest firmware update might prove otherwise"
That's what I'm wondering. I clicked the Firmware Update and it's been saying "Checking for firmware update, please wait." for 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
That's what I'm wondering. I clicked the Firmware Update and it's been saying "Checking for firmware update, please wait." for 10 minutes.

I tried the same thing earlier today and it did the same thing to me. I also tried a firmware update a few weeks ago just to see what would happen and after 10 minutes or so I just cancelled it.

As others have mentioned this is defintely a HTC software update. The official release from Sprint instructed users to specifically download the "HTC software update".

Upvote 0
Have they said anything about whether the update removes root or the current root exploit?

A twitter post sent from unrEVOked at 2:51 pm says:
"This OTA will undo your root, but unrEVOked 3.21 will be able to restore it"

Also, another post at 3:15pm says:
Here's a video of a stock Evo running uncapped at 53fps after the OTA (a bit blurry, sorry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGIEQdmjcUY

--------------
EDIT: this is NOT my video, this is from a twitter post from the unrEVOked team.

FWIW :cool:

Upvote 0
A twitter post sent from unrEVOked at 2:51 pm says:
"This OTA will undo your root, but unrEVOked 3.21 will be able to restore it"

Also, another post at 3:15pm says:
Here's a video of a stock Evo running uncapped at 53fps after the OTA (a bit blurry, sorry):

--------------
EDIT: this is NOT my video, this is from a twitter post from the unrEVOked team.

FWIW :cool:
Thanks ---

Does this mean that the exploit is still there? (and so rooting is still trivial) Or does this mean it won't affect things as long as you have the Unrevoked Forever root?

Upvote 0
I don't know that it is. Apparently, their press release about the pending update mentioned fixing Gmail sync and calendar edit issues, but nothing about removing the 30 fps cap.
Maybe Yankees368 can elaborate.

Well, according to multiple sources (engadget and androidcentral), there are multiple leaks that refer to the 30 FPS issue. The best thing to do at this point is wait until the release, and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I wonder if all the review sites will do another comparison with the EVO vs. all the other competition.

The EVO did pretty poorly against a lot of the other phones, but with the fps limitation removed, I'd imagine it would perform much better or at least be comparable to the other phones.

really? what phones did it do poorly against ?! I find this hard to believe !

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones