• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lose network frequently.

I've started a separate, detailed thread on the trip - which was kinda useless, as in many parts of Virginia there is no signal.
However:
Just had another disconnect while @ LTE Off, leaving to the main takeaway from the out of state trip:

outside NYC, depending on setting, phone will readily downgrade - LTE to 4G or 4G to 3G to 2G

in NYC only once I ever saw this - inside subway a fleeting LTE to 2G

So basically a disconnect instead of a fallback.

Upvote 0
It has been over a week since I received my new zmax pro from ZTE. I haven't had a single disconnect. The one I sent in disconnected every day or two. I'm pretty sure the problem is with some individual units and not the network.
Only problem now is changing the sound mode to vibrate does nothing for notifications. I have to manually turn down the volume which is annoying.

Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0
It has been over a week since I received my new zmax pro from ZTE. I haven't had a single disconnect. The one I sent in disconnected every day or two. I'm pretty sure the problem is with some individual units and not the network.
Only problem now is changing the sound mode to vibrate does nothing for notifications. I have to manually turn down the volume which is annoying.
Thank you for posting this, it's very encouraging.
NO ONE ELSE HAS BOTHERED TO INFORM US THEIR REPLACEMENT EXPERIENCE.

Yes, that notification bug is annoying as heck - I've woken up many people already.
Say what you will about the big boys - Samsung, LG, et al - they all have some deserved criticism, but never these kind of bugs...unfixed for so long.

Reactions: Spec2nirvash
Upvote 0
Well, finally gave the Zmax to my wife on Wednesday, she loves it.... But she asked me THAT question: "Hey, what's up with my LTE? Says it's on but my Snapchat says there's no connection...."

Gonna pick up a new SIM card on the way home and see if that fixes it, because MetroPCS for some reason has some junk SIM cards, bought two replacements in 8 years since ive been with them, and it fixed the issues I had on previous phones.

I'll report back. Guess if this doesnt work I'm shipping it off for repair.

Upvote 0
Well, finally gave the Zmax to my wife on Wednesday, she loves it.... But she asked me THAT question: "Hey, what's up with my LTE? Says it's on but my Snapchat says there's no connection...."

Gonna pick up a new SIM card on the way home and see if that fixes it, because MetroPCS for some reason has some junk SIM cards, bought two replacements in 8 years since ive been with them, and it fixed the issues I had on previous phones.

I'll report back. Guess if this doesnt work I'm shipping it off for repair.
Hmmmm, I have older sim cards...wonder if that's an option.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
I have a bunch of old sims. Do you need to call them or can you do it online?

You can do both. If you're logged into your MetroPCS account, open a live chat. You might be able to update your SIM under 'change device'..... I really wish Metro would allow SIM swapping, would save me a lot of time.

Oh, if you call for a SIM swap with one of your older cards I'm sure they'll tell you if it's no good, won't hurt to ask, but I'm sure they'll work.

New SIM is installed in Zmax. Give me a day or two and I'll let you guys know if it worked.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem that everyone here is describing. I just went to two MetroPCS stores (including the one I bought the phone from), and they told me that without them seeing the problem, they cannot replace the phone under the warranty. How am I supposed to show them a problem that occurs randomly? How did you, who have gotten your phones replaced, get the warranty process started?

Upvote 0
Apparently the SIM card wasn't causing the problem, wife said LTE was dropping out again the very next day. So I don't know. I don't want to have to swap yet another phone out, and ship etc right now.

Disabled LTE a couple of days ago and haven't heard any complaints thus far. And yea, if metro pcs can't SEE the problem they won't take it back.

Upvote 0
Starting to look like a broad issue with T-Mobile's (and by extension, Metro's) networks, isn't it? I'm favoring the LTE prioritization theory right now myself. So far we have evidence that it's happening to Metro customers, and people with cheap/prepaid T-Mobile plans.
I'm thinking it's a band 12 issue. Never had a problem with my original Zmax.

Reactions: 5318008
Upvote 0
In my experience 1-2 years ago @ 6-7 years of being with Metro(@ 4/5 lines) - I called to complain about a Samsung phone...and asked for Retention.
"Since you've been such a long & loyal customer, we can do a one - time month's credit, so that with those funds you can buy another one".

Nowadays I'm down to a single line @ the grandfathered $50 Unlimited Promo + $6 insurance (why pay for the other ones when you can just tether them @ a free plan).
I plan on calling, rather than visiting a store and having to deal with some unmotivated imbecile with extra election time attitude.
If I get a negative answer, I will wait until Black Friday - especially since 90 days have just passed on the new phone... Besides free unlock, now able to purchase a promo phone w/o having to pay full price.
Then it will all hinge on whether Metro has a good BF special. Otherwise I will force some relative to jump with me to Tmo... Freebie Tuesdays, swappable Sim, BYOD without losing plan, even faster speeds. . . Why not . . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm thinking it's a band 12 issue. Never had a problem with my original Zmax.
Hmm you know my previous phone was an unlocked AT&T Note 2 with fully unlocked bands. I just looked it up, it doesn't include band 12, but it would still get the weird disconnection we're getting with the ZMP.

Edit: this was while on T-Mobile

Last edited:
Upvote 0
UPDATE @ LTE Off:

Disconnects are practically nonexistent now - maybe once weekly.
HOWEVER...

- PING (initial Latency browsing to a site) is super high, very bad depending on which browser. After this initial stutter, speeds are usually OK though. And watching extended video is mostly OK - a stutter here and there, but mostly fine... Just don't expect HD.

- No HD / Stereo Calling... or only Mono. On most calls one end sounds OK but the other not so good(passable - just not nice), forget about during Call Waiting / Conference.

- No Text throughput while simultaneously on a Voice call... The only time you'll need this is when some CS needs to Verify you by having you repeat a security code "sent during the call".

PS Why don't I just replace phone?

It's also work phone + has supplanted a good portion of tablet / laptop use. Without Root no way to seamlessly transfer everything, don't look forward to reverifying all sites / providers / apps.

Might get another faulty replacement or worse, a replacement without the original's unlimited tether.

This served to also gather extra info + test other geographical regions.

So was waiting on upcoming trip / promised ZTE patch / maybe a carrier fix / root / 90 day wait before being allowed to upgrade @ promo price / free unlock wait period / holiday deal / model upgrade / new release... while the days turned into weeks and months and...

Speaking of, the promised Quick Charge 4(Snapdragon 831 / 5 minute charge = 5 hours battery time) sounds like a "must wait for + obtain irregardless of price".

Last edited:
Reactions: yknujssab
Upvote 0
I'm thinking about getting an unlocked phone line a moto or honor 5x. Really tired of the disconnects. And like you said, if I buy another Pro, it could be a dud as well.
I would not buy another one, when I attempt to exchange it better be free or I will leave(ask for Retention).
I do have the grandfathered $50 Unlimited, so I'm kinda avoiding this potential showdown by hoping a holiday deal or better Metro phone materializes.
Because even if the replacement is free and unblemished, 2gb Ram is just not enough anymore.

I do recognize the negatives of the plan - no BYOD, lesser International perks & network depriorization(vs Tmo) - but it's gonna cost a lot more for Unlimited @ Tmo after taxes n fees: ~$80 1 line or $140 5-6 lines...constantly chase after others for money + hope they don't tether several terabytes.

Some hard choices to make in the next month or two....

Upvote 0
I would not buy another one, when I attempt to exchange it better be free or I will leave(ask for Retention).
I do have the grandfathered $50 Unlimited, so I'm kinda avoiding this potential showdown by hoping a holiday deal or better Metro phone materializes.
Because even if the replacement is free and unblemished, 2gb Ram is just not enough anymore.

I do recognize the negatives of the plan - no BYOD, lesser International perks & network depriorization(vs Tmo) - but it's gonna cost a lot more for Unlimited @ Tmo after taxes n fees: ~$80 1 line or $140 5-6 lines...constantly chase after others for money + hope they don't tether several terabytes.

Some hard choices to make in the next month or two....
I have the $50 plan as well. and don't really want to lose it. Maybe I'll just get the Stylo.

Upvote 0
I have the $50 plan as well. and don't really want to lose it. Maybe I'll just get the Stylo.
I actually still use the original Stylo for Android Pay, which requires NFC.
Every time I grab it I hold up next to the Zmax - Stylo just looks better somehow.
I wish it came in a larger version, or that Metro would obtain the V20.

Upvote 0
Say what you will about the big boys - Samsung, LG, et al - they all have some deserved criticism, but never these kind of bugs...unfixed for so long.

Remove LG from the list.

I have LG G Stylo which has well known GPS issue. I've been trying to get this fixed since May, sent warranty repair 5 times, spent numerous hours calling customer service but LG hasn't been able to fix it. After 3rd repair, I asked them to completely refund instead of wasting my time but they denied it with reason saying 'Not enough document'

LG Wireless customer service is complete joke.

Upvote 0
Remove LG from the list.

I have LG G Stylo which has well known GPS issue. I've been trying to get this fixed since May, sent warranty repair 5 times, spent numerous hours calling customer service but LG hasn't been able to fix it. After 3rd repair, I asked them to completely refund instead of wasting my time but they denied it with reason saying 'Not enough document'

LG Wireless customer service is complete joke.
Yes, I remember you posting this in the past.
I'm so sorry about your situation.
They would've saved by just replacing it.
I know folks thru the years who've even received the next model upgrade.

Reactions: Bard
Upvote 0
Yes, I remember you posting this in the past.
I'm so sorry about your situation.
They would've saved by just replacing it.
I know folks thru the years who've even received the next model upgrade.

What's funny is I ask them to completely replace it instead of fixing it. But they keep wasting their time & my time fixing this junk unit >< I know LG customer service is actually a 3rd party company who receives phone call and redirect them. As long as communication works between them and LG dept, I have no problem but this is so frustrating ><

Upvote 0
What's funny is I ask them to completely replace it instead of fixing it. But they keep wasting their time & my time fixing this junk unit >< I know LG customer service is actually a 3rd party company who receives phone call and redirect them. As long as communication works between them and LG dept, I have no problem but this is so frustrating ><
This is why I always bite the bullet and pay insurance the first 2-3 months (only)...

Based on what you've stated re 3rd party, I'll be very leery about ever springing for any non - heavily discounted lg phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones